5,603,920 Members 40,492 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Do I have the superbrick bug?

Tip us?
 
d-r0ck
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: Sep 2013
Default [Q] Do I have the superbrick bug?

Hi,

I've been trying to figure out whether or not the phone I have has the superbrick bug... Is there information that someone can link me to find it? I plan on loading CM onto it but I am afraid that the superbrick bug may affect the phone.
 
cyril279
Old
#2  
cyril279's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 642
Posts: 353
Join Date: Jun 2013
The superbrick bug was associated with at&t 4.0.3 firmware (& maybe 4.0.4). It sounds like your phone is currently working, so even if you are using the affected fimware, it hasn't reared its ugly head yet. our best course of action: DO NOT FACTORY RESET, and ODIN to UCMD8 4.1.2.

find out what you have:
menu > system settings > about phone > android version (or baseband)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-r0ck View Post
Hi,

I've been trying to figure out whether or not the phone I have has the superbrick bug... Is there information that someone can link me to find it? I plan on loading CM onto it but I am afraid that the superbrick bug may affect the phone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cyril279 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
d-r0ck
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril279 View Post
The superbrick bug was associated with at&t 4.0.3 firmware (& maybe 4.0.4). It sounds like your phone is currently working, so even if you are using the affected fimware, it hasn't reared its ugly head yet. our best course of action: DO NOT FACTORY RESET, and ODIN to UCMD8 4.1.2.

find out what you have:
menu > system settings > about phone > android version (or baseband)
Hi,

the baseband version of the phone is i777UCLL6

Build #: IMM76D.CLL6
Kernel: 3.0.15-CL1174199

Currently on 4.0.4 stock

Does any of that info indicate superbrick bug?
 
cyril279
Old
#4  
cyril279's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 642
Posts: 353
Join Date: Jun 2013
UCLL6 is android 4.0.4, which is the release after the known-affected firmware (see quote below)

to be on the safe side, DO NOT FACTORY RESET BEFORE FLASHING UCMD8.

Since you plan to move to CM, and your phone is currently functional, then your path forward is clear:
1) flash the ucmd8 firmware to get the latest bootloaders available for the i777. This will also leave any superbrick worries behind you.
2) root and cwm the phone
3) flash whatever firmware you want.

Quote:
The AT&T ICS leaks leading up to the first official ICS release, UCLE5, had a very serious flaw in the kernel which caused several people with the I777 to lose their device due to eMMC chip damage. The distribution of that flawed kernel was fairly widespread, and affected a number of different devices. There were very few confirmed cases of eMMC damage with the UCLE5 release, but evidence indicates it may still have contained the flaw in some form. The current UCLL6 kernel appearantly fixes some issues that appeared in the previous 4.0.4 release, such as the sleep of death issue. It is unknown if the original eMMC cap erase flaw has been completely removed from this release. Therefore, it may be advisable to either not run this firmware, or use a modified, rooted version in which the kernel is replaced with a known safe kernel. Such a modified, rooted version can be downloaded from the Android Development forum for this phone. It is unknown at this time if the bone stock installation can be rooted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-r0ck View Post
Hi,

the baseband version of the phone is i777UCLL6

Build #: IMM76D.CLL6
Kernel: 3.0.15-CL1174199

Currently on 4.0.4 stock

Does any of that info indicate superbrick bug?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cyril279 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
d-r0ck
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril279 View Post
UCLL6 is android 4.0.4, which is the release after the known-affected firmware (see quote below)

to be on the safe side, DO NOT FACTORY RESET BEFORE FLASHING UCMD8.

Since you plan to move to CM, and your phone is currently functional, then your path forward is clear:
1) flash the ucmd8 firmware to get the latest bootloaders available for the i777. This will also leave any superbrick worries behind you.
2) root and cwm the phone
3) flash whatever firmware you want.
Hi Thank you for your help...

I have some questions about the process you gave me to flash my phone:

for step 1)

Would I use odin to flash?
Will I need to unlock the bootloader?
If possible should I try to do an OTA update to get to UCMD8?

step 3)

Would it be the same program to flash with as step 1?


Sorry for these questions
 
cyril279
Old
#6  
cyril279's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 642
Posts: 353
Join Date: Jun 2013
Kies. I wasn't even thinking about Kies. that's surely the easiest way to get from stock UCLL6 to UCMD8. Install Kies, plug your phone in, and go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-r0ck View Post
Hi Thank you for your help...

I have some questions about the process you gave me to flash my phone:

for step 1)

Would I use odin to flash?
Will I need to unlock the bootloader?
If possible should I try to do an OTA update to get to UCMD8?

step 3)

Would it be the same program to flash with as step 1?


Sorry for these questions


---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

Once you're succesfully to UCMD8, use this guide to get yourself rooted and rom'd.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cyril279 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
azeem40
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 196
Posts: 655
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-r0ck View Post
Will I need to unlock the bootloader?
No, our bootloaders should already be unlocked.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes