5,595,815 Members 34,551 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

S4 submerged in water

Tip us?
 
Joomlad
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 246
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lismore
Default S4 submerged in water

so yesterday as i was outside talking with some friends, i dropped my s4 which then bounched along the grass and down into the drain, fully submerging itsself in about 4 inches of water. the amazing thing is that after pulling it out (still powered on) i turned it off and let it sit and to my surprise everything still works 100%! im not sure if i am just lucky but does anyone know just how much moisture this thing can take? still stuns me that it survived being undwerwater. i thought for sure my $600+ investment had just went down the drain.. (pun intended) :P
 
Repulsa
Old
(Last edited by Repulsa; 9th December 2013 at 11:56 PM.)
#2  
Repulsa's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1450
Posts: 1,619
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Your Mom's crib

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joomlad View Post
so yesterday as i was outside talking with some friends, i dropped my s4 which then bounched along the grass and down into the drain, fully submerging itsself in about 4 inches of water. the amazing thing is that after pulling it out (still powered on) i turned it off and let it sit and to my surprise everything still works 100%! im not sure if i am just lucky but does anyone know just how much moisture this thing can take? still stuns me that it survived being undwerwater. i thought for sure my $600+ investment had just went down the drain.. (pun intended) :P
i had this issue on my s2 but after searching google.com i finally found an answer and this works 100% as of now since my s2 still working but bought a new battery anyways here's what i did Putting it in rice is basically trying to suck out the moisture. Depending on how much damage was done it may or may not help.Open the back cover of the phone and remove the battery, put them in, leave it there for days, and it may sucked out the left over moisture inside your phone :P or if still doesnt work get a Silica gel and that should help your problem as well


Edit:
If you wanna try out the rice solution folow this step :P

1 The first step is to leave your phone alone! DO NOT try to turn your wet cell phone on. Turning on your wet phone can permanently damage the circuitry.
2 Next step is find a bag of rice, preferably white. White rice can absorbs the most water. Ensure that you have enough bag of rice to completely submerge your wet cell phone.
3 Now, place your wet cell phone into the bag of rice. Place the phone in the middle of the bag so that you can no longer see your wet cell phone.
4 Next, place your bag of rice in a dry and warm place.
5 Leave your bag of rice to sit for days. . After waiting for a few days you can turn it on your phone once again. Remember this works on my s2 and i wouldnt not suggest this to you if doesnt work well or go with a plan B "Silica gel packet"
 
Quote:
That awkward moment when you're reading this comment and can't stop reading because you are so intrigued by it,that you keep reading,and then you realize it says nothing important.



If I've helped you at all, PLEASE, atleast hit that thanks Button right there >

Remember "Im not responsible if anything happen to your phone as a result of flashing anything"
 
Joomlad
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 246
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lismore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsa View Post
i had this issue on my s2 but after searching google.com i finally found an answer and this works 100% as of now since my s2 still working but bought a new battery anyways here's what i did Putting it in rice is basically trying to suck out the moisture. Depending on how much damage was done it may or may not help.Open the back cover of the phone and remove the battery, put them in, leave it there for days, and it may sucked out the left over moisture inside your phone :P or if still doesnt work get a Silica gel and that should help your problem as well
thats the thing, it doesnt seem to have done any damage at all, everything all works as it should, i did have some moisture on the inside of the front camera but that has since evaporated. but if it ever happens again ill be sure to try the rice method
 
dr.wtf
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 116
Posts: 705
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joomlad View Post
thats the thing, it doesnt seem to have done any damage at all, everything all works as it should, i did have some moisture on the inside of the front camera but that has since evaporated. but if it ever happens again ill be sure to try the rice method
it might corrode over time. a water damage could appear weeks or months after getting wet. i wouldn't be too excited if i was you. you might have even worsened it by using it without letting it dry out.
The Following User Says Thank You to dr.wtf For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Repulsa
Old
#5  
Repulsa's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1450
Posts: 1,619
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Your Mom's crib

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joomlad View Post
thats the thing, it doesnt seem to have done any damage at all, everything all works as it should, i did have some moisture on the inside of the front camera but that has since evaporated. but if it ever happens again ill be sure to try the rice method
Okey mate goodluck with the phone and i already edit my post on how to do it with that solution :P have a nice day
 
Quote:
That awkward moment when you're reading this comment and can't stop reading because you are so intrigued by it,that you keep reading,and then you realize it says nothing important.



If I've helped you at all, PLEASE, atleast hit that thanks Button right there >

Remember "Im not responsible if anything happen to your phone as a result of flashing anything"
 
Joomlad
Old
#6  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 246
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lismore
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.wtf View Post
it might corrode over time. a water damage could appear weeks or months after getting wet. i wouldn't be too excited if i was you. you might have even worsened it by using it without letting it dry out.
i hear what your saying, although after it happened i pulled the battery and let it sit for an hour or so. i didnt see any signs of water under the battery area (was in a case) i did have a good look before attempting to power it on
 
dr.wtf
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 116
Posts: 705
Join Date: Dec 2011
you've got a power plug, a phone connector, a mic and many slots where water could have come in.
 
Joomlad
Old
#8  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 246
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lismore
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.wtf View Post
you've got a power plug, a phone connector, a mic and many slots where water could have come in.
i opened the phone up and looked at all the internals, everything is clean and also the water damage indicators are all white as they should be so i think i got away with it, but i'll keep monitoring things and see how it goes. also it wasn't underwater for too long, only a few seconds.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Google Glass XE16 Update Factory Image and Rooted Bootloader Now Available

You may recall that early yesterday, we talked about the XE16 … more

Add Swipe Utilities to Your App with SimpleFingerGestures Library

Gestures have become an increasingly important element in smartphone UI … more

Android App Review: Lock it Down with Lockdown Pro – XDA Developer TV

Our smartphones are our lives. They store our contacts, emails, … more