XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Won't boot into custom recovery

Tip us?

chucktheduck
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Won't boot into custom recovery

Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum. I have been doing a lot of research about rooting my s4 (SGH-1337, i9505) on firmware 4.3, and after a long process of trying different methods, I finally found a method that works, using a chinese root program. When I use root checker, it says my device has been fully rooted. However, I am having trouble booting into custom recovery. I used rom manager to flash clockworkmod touch, and it says flash succeeded, but whenever I try to boot into recovery, it will only take me into the stock android recovery. I decided to try to flash CWM through Odin, but every time I try that it says flash failed. I am not sure what the issue is here, and I have tried almost all of the methods that I have found. Any help would greatly appreciated!

DeadlySin9
Old
Thanks Meter 381

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucktheduck View Post
Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum. I have been doing a lot of research about rooting my s4 (SGH-1337, i9505) on firmware 4.3, and after a long process of trying different methods, I finally found a method that works, using a chinese root program. When I use root checker, it says my device has been fully rooted. However, I am having trouble booting into custom recovery. I used rom manager to flash clockworkmod touch, and it says flash succeeded, but whenever I try to boot into recovery, it will only take me into the stock android recovery. I decided to try to flash CWM through Odin, but every time I try that it says flash failed. I am not sure what the issue is here, and I have tried almost all of the methods that I have found. Any help would greatly appreciated!
The I337 and i9505 are not the same device. We cannot have a custom recovery on our 4.3 firmware with the I337 because of the locked bootloader. The i9505 is the international version, and has an unlocked bootloader since no carrier is enforcing a lock on it. So you can only have root and use root apps for now, and then use Safestrap when it is updated for flashing other Touchwiz or GPE 4.3 ROMs.
Current Device: ATT Samsung Galaxy S4 (i337)

Past Devices:
Droid Bionic (GSM Hacked)
HTC Inspire 4G (Desire HD)
Nexus One
Motorola Backflip
HTC Dev Phone 1 (Dream/G1)

chucktheduck
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlySin9 View Post
The I337 and i9505 are not the same device. We cannot have a custom recovery on our 4.3 firmware with the I337 because of the locked bootloader. The i9505 is the international version, and has an unlocked bootloader since no carrier is enforcing a lock on it. So you can only have root and use root apps for now, and then use Safestrap when it is updated for flashing other Touchwiz or GPE 4.3 ROMs.
thank you so much. I guess I'll have to wait to be able to unlock the bootloader. Do you know of any methods now that can unlock it?

graydiggy
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1973

DONATE TO ME
There is no method and may never be a method.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Lost in a paper bag again...

chucktheduck
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by graydiggy View Post
There is no method and may never be a method.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I just found this post.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=42320391.

I should be able to at least install custom recovery using this method correct? Loki is sort of a workaround right?

brobinson2102
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucktheduck View Post
I just found this post.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=42320391.

I should be able to at least install custom recovery using this method correct? Loki is sort of a workaround right?
Not for MK2 4.3 on AT&T I337. If that's your device and firmware version, at this time, your bootloader is locked. Safestrap is 4.2.2 only. Patience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app
Don't Panic! [I337+Rooted]