XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Square credit card reader?

Tip us?

TEKWRX
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Square credit card reader?

Does anybody use the Square credit card reader with the Z Ultra? It doesn't seem to be working, the app says it can't read the card no matter how many times you swipe. The same card works on the first swipe on my wife's Note 3. The reader and app used to work fine on my old Xperia Z, just not the Ultra.

I have rooted the Ultra, could that be the problem?

Any feedback would be great, as I use the Square reader for my business from time to time.

Thanks

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

LordManhattan
Old
Thanks Meter 5440
Okay, so i just googled "Square reader not working on android" and it looks like a lot of people with a lot of different devices can't get it working. Not sure if it's Square's responsibility or Sony's since i've read one thing here and another there, so i'm not sure. I guess you can start by emailing Square and see what they say.

I DO NOT RUN A SUPPORT LINE THROUGH PERSONAL MESSAGES,
SO PLEASE DO NOT PM ME ABOUT HELP (*COUGH* UNLESS I KNOW YOU *COUGH*).

THANK YOU, AND PLEASE HAVE A COOKIE ON YOUR WAY OUT.

ij0rgei
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I use a card reader that I got from First Data and that doesn't work either. called the company and they gave me some bs answers and said it's a faulty headphone jack which I don't believe to be is the case. also tried it with the PayPal here card reader and no luck.

Sent from my C6833 using xda app-developers app

LordManhattan
Old
Thanks Meter 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by ij0rgei View Post
I use a card reader that I got from First Data and that doesn't work either. called the company and they gave me some bs answers and said it's a faulty headphone jack which I don't believe to be is the case. also tried it with the PayPal here card reader and no luck.

It might look like it's the OEM's fault. The jacks are fine, but they haven't implemented support for these "things". I don't know if a software update would enable this or if it's hardware. This is what i'm getting after googling, so it might be completely wrong, but a lot of LG, Motorola and HTC users are facing the same issue.

You guys should go to Sony's site and use the support chat and ask if they know anything about it. It's way quicker than emailing.

The Following User Says Thank You to LordManhattan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ij0rgei
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordManhattan View Post
It might look like it's the OEM's fault. The jacks are fine, but they haven't implemented support for these "things". I don't know if a software update would enable this or if it's hardware. This is what i'm getting after googling, so it might be completely wrong, but a lot of LG, Motorola and HTC users are facing the same issue.

You guys should go to Sony's site and use the support chat and ask if they know anything about it. It's way quicker than emailing.
called Sony and they said that they've never heard of those kinds of devices and to make sure they are compatible with the correct TRRS standard version of headphone jack used. since Sony and Apple use the CTIA standard, that's not the problem since they worked on my iPhone. so now I'm back at square one. maybe someone else had a better idea. lol

TEKWRX
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
It's just frustrating because it worked fine on my Xperia Z. Would the water proofing on the Ultra affect it?

pedal2themedal
Old
Thanks Meter 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKWRX View Post
It's just frustrating because it worked fine on my Xperia Z. Would the water proofing on the Ultra affect it?

Could be. The headphone jacks do not have the same type of contacts because they are waterproof.

Sent from my Xperia Z Ultra using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Current Phones: Samsung Galaxy Note 3: ROM: X-Note 4.4
Sony Xperia Z Ultra: Rom Stock 4.4

LordManhattan
Old
Thanks Meter 5440
"Square launches thinner credit card reader with better swiping accuracy" - The Verge

"Square's reader is also now compatible with a wider array of smartphones and tablets thanks to improvements to the audio plug connection."

TEKWRX
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Just saw that today. Ordered a replacement from the square website, but it didn't say if it was the new version or not. Guess I'll find out in a few days