Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,235 Members 51,774 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD / HACK] - Fully enable native wifi hotspot AND native Bluetooth tethering

Tip us?
 
cesartefacto
Old
#101  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 29
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturefreak85 View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to just do this all through CWM with ADB? Thus no force closes or anything.

EDIT: As I look at the instructions on the original post, he states it's easiest to do it that way also. I'd recommend simplifying such and just doing the instructions for CWM. This will reduce bricks, though if someone can make this into a CWM flashable zip it would be even easier. Live modding files isn't always the best thing to do.

Those instructions are
1) Boot into CWM
2) Go to Mounts and Storage
3) Mount /system
4) Start following the instructions from 4
very very good aport iwant to make small donate and says thanks , please how i can do it ?
 
Alannon
Old
#102  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 8
Join Date: May 2009
Is there a hack version available for MJB?
 
BlvJohn
Old
#103  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 17
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alannon View Post
Is there a hack version available for MJB?
I created a recovery installable patch for WiFi and bluetooth tethering that is working on my AT&T Galaxy SIII i747UCUEMJB ROM. I assume it will work on any MJB Rom, but I am not sure.

Feel free to download it and try. However, to be safe, make a copy of the "Tether_i747UCUEMJB.zip" and change the name to something like "orig_no_tether.zip". Open this new zip and replace the framework-res.apk in the zip with the one from the /system/framework folder on your device. Copy both zips to your external sdcard. Flash the Tether_i747UCUEMJB.zip and see if it works. If you have problems, you can always reboot to recovery and install the orig_no_tether.zip you created to restore your system to the way it was.

Link: "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98345983/CM9%20for%20HP%20TouchPad%204G/Tether_i747UCUEMJB.zip"

Respond back here to let others know if it worked for you.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlvJohn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
cjgibson0504
Old
#104  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 2
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlvJohn View Post
I created a recovery installable patch for WiFi and bluetooth tethering that is working on my AT&T Galaxy SIII i747UCUEMJB ROM. I assume it will work on any MJB Rom, but I am not sure.

Feel free to download it and try. However, to be safe, make a copy of the "Tether_i747UCUEMJB.zip" and change the name to something like "orig_no_tether.zip". Open this new zip and replace the framework-res.apk in the zip with the one from the /system/framework folder on your device. Copy both zips to your external sdcard. Flash the Tether_i747UCUEMJB.zip and see if it works. If you have problems, you can always reboot to recovery and install the orig_no_tether.zip you created to restore your system to the way it was.

Link: "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98345983/CM9%20for%20HP%20TouchPad%204G/Tether_i747UCUEMJB.zip"

Respond back here to let others know if it worked for you.
Installed on my att i747 MJB and it works perfectly!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to cjgibson0504 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
BlvJohn
Old
#105  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 17
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default i747UCUEMJB Bluetooth Tethering

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjgibson0504 View Post
Installed on my att i747 MJB and it works perfectly!!!
Glad to hear it works for you.

I need to clarify that the Wifi Hotspot works fine for me, but bluetooth PAN (Access Point) does not seem to work correctly. My patch turns on the option in settings and it toggles fine; however, the bluetooth PAN profile appears to have been removed from i747UCUEMJB (/sys/bin/pand is missing).

Does bluetooth tethering work on your phone?
 
Alannon
Old
#106  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 8
Join Date: May 2009
WiFi worked good for me, not sure about the BT, I don't use my BT for much of anything.
 
cjgibson0504
Old
#107  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 2
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlvJohn View Post
Glad to hear it works for you.

I need to clarify that the Wifi Hotspot works fine for me, but bluetooth PAN (Access Point) does not seem to work correctly. My patch turns on the option in settings and it toggles fine; however, the bluetooth PAN profile appears to have been removed from i747UCUEMJB (/sys/bin/pand is missing).

Does bluetooth tethering work on your phone?
Just tried it out and no the bluetooth tethering does not work but all other bluetooth functions do.
 
mcinelli
Old
(Last edited by mcinelli; 24th December 2013 at 10:27 PM.) Reason: New information
#108  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlvJohn View Post
I created a recovery installable patch for WiFi and bluetooth tethering that is working on my AT&T Galaxy SIII i747UCUEMJB ROM. I assume it will work on any MJB Rom, but I am not sure.

Feel free to download it and try. However, to be safe, make a copy of the "Tether_i747UCUEMJB.zip" and change the name to something like "orig_no_tether.zip". Open this new zip and replace the framework-res.apk in the zip with the one from the /system/framework folder on your device. Copy both zips to your external sdcard. Flash the Tether_i747UCUEMJB.zip and see if it works. If you have problems, you can always reboot to recovery and install the orig_no_tether.zip you created to restore your system to the way it was.

Link: "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98345983/CM9%20for%20HP%20TouchPad%204G/Tether_i747UCUEMJB.zip"

Respond back here to let others know if it worked for you.
Wifi tethering is working fine for me, but the majority of apps on my phone will no longer run. Do I need to wipe cache or the phone to clear this up?

EDIT: Wiping Dalvik cache did not fix problem.

EDIT2: Updated TWRP to latest version and reflashed, working fine now. Thank you for this patch!
 
MrSimmonsSr
Old
(Last edited by MrSimmonsSr; 3rd January 2014 at 10:29 PM.)
#109  
MrSimmonsSr's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 39
Posts: 179
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlvJohn View Post
I created a recovery installable patch for WiFi and bluetooth tethering that is working on my AT&T Galaxy SIII i747UCUEMJB ROM. I assume it will work on any MJB Rom, but I am not sure.
First of all, let me say thanks, BlvJohn, for putting this together. I'm hopeful that it will get me back the tethering capability I lost when I made the mistake of upgrading My AT&T S3 to the OTG version of 4.3 [MJB] ..

So my question is this: Is there a way to safely apply this mod without using a custom recovery?

My company paid for my phone, and they also use Mobile Iron, so my goal is to find a way to root the phone, apply this mod, and then unroot and be back to as close as stock as possible. I think that would allow me to be able to still use Mobile Iron for email and calendar while leaving my phone basically untouched from it's original state, other than having this mod applied..

I'm not even sure if this is possible, or if it is possible, what the best approach would be to try to accomplish this. Should I try to apply the proper files via ADB? What makes the most sense?

Any thoughts/concerns/suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk 4
 
BlvJohn
Old
#110  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 17
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSimmonsSr View Post
Any thoughts/concerns/suggestions would be most appreciated!
I do not know anything about Mobile Iron. Will it not work on a rooted phone? I doubt that it makes any changes to the framework-res.apk in the stock rom.

The patch does not make any significant changes from the stock rom. It simply changes a couple of xml values in framework-res.apk to skip the provisioning requirement when WiFi hotspot starts up. The reason installation through a recovery is required is that framework-res.apk can not be installed while Android is running.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes