5,599,616 Members 43,573 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Wifi tether on unlimited data?

Tip us?

bigpappa
Old
Thanks Meter 36
The reason data rates go up is called profit, not users circumventing something they DO pay for, unlimited data, on a phone I own and control the software on. Keep drinking the koolaid believing that data os expensive. I worked in the hosting business and web search industry of well over 15 years. I can go buy backbone bandwith right now for $0.003 a GB. Know your facts please. Research actual bandwidth prices and you'll realize why mobile providers make so much money on data. Margins tell it all.

Debate over. This should be about development and facts, not opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanm1978 View Post
It's not a "rediculous" argument..nor is it a ridiculous argument either. You talking about circumventing -- purposely, in order to gain something for free that is a paid service. This should be discussed right along with IMEI switching and ESN switching...because it falls into that category. If you're gonna steal, do it right...steal the phone, circumvent the bad/blacklisted ESN and go all-out to get some free data.

I've had this in every ROM I put on my GS3 and even my old Optimus S...and never used it because I didn't pay for it. Was it unlocked? I guess so, it was in the menu...but it wasn't something I wanted to break my morals in order to use.
People want this then they wonder why carriers want to increase prices and charge more / add data caps. This is the exact reason.

jcfunk
Old
Thanks Meter 102
isn't circumventing part of development? why else would we root our phones its not to break the securities they put in place?

The last time I read the TOS tethering was allowed in limited use.

Sent from my DOWNGRADED EVO 3D now Free

benny3
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2254

DONATE TO ME
This is the Development section. Request belong in General.

bigpappa
Old
(Last edited by bigpappa; 8th December 2013 at 01:28 AM.)
Thanks Meter 36
Benny that was kind of my point. There should be a thread for this in development. Putting things in general hasnt helped sprint development at all. Things are being lost in there with every other carriers stuff.

If roms are in development even when they arent complete are allowed here then why other under things like tether mods allowed here? Should there be a thread for requests under sprint? Maybe so. However other handsets forums on xda have devoted sections to specific carrier version. Why doesnt the G2?

Personally I cant find much under general, or questions, that helps me with the ls980.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigpappa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sugnim91
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
If anyone can look into this I put it into development as to find a permanent solution so far I have tried foxfi and a few others and so far no dice the one I have can't turn on the access point...

Sent from my LG-LS980 using xda app-developers app

crashN2u
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanm1978 View Post
It's not a "rediculous" argument..nor is it a ridiculous argument either. You talking about circumventing -- purposely, in order to gain something for free that is a paid service. This should be discussed right along with IMEI switching and ESN switching...because it falls into that category. If you're gonna steal, do it right...steal the phone, circumvent the bad/blacklisted ESN and go all-out to get some free data.

I've had this in every ROM I put on my GS3 and even my old Optimus S...and never used it because I didn't pay for it. Was it unlocked? I guess so, it was in the menu...but it wasn't something I wanted to break my morals in order to use.
People want this then they wonder why carriers want to increase prices and charge more / add data caps. This is the exact reason.
So, what's your stance on Verizon's tethering policy? Before, you had to pay for it no matter what plan you had. Now, if you're grandfathered in to unlimited data, the took the option away. If you're on their tiered plan, it's now free. They've taken away the option for people who could use it effectively, and given it to people who will make them money if they try to use it in any serious sense.

Now, looking at it from another perspective, the ability has been built into my phones in the past so I don't have to use their software. In those cases, Verizon is not allowing me to use my phone as it was intended. While not a violation of the LTE purchasing agreements because they still provide 3G, it is a loophole that they are taking advantage of. As long as they provide service other than the LTE bands purchased, they can prohibit us from using our own tethering apps indefinitely without being sanctioned. How is that fair? In essence, they are robbing me of the ability to use my hard/software as it was designed. Unlike them, I don't have expensive lawyers or lobbyists in Congress' pockets.

Ascertion
Old
Thanks Meter 961

DONATE TO ME
Deodexed version V8 to be uploaded tomorrow by our lovely devs. This next weekend, if work doesn't have me too long, I'll take a look in the files and see what I can do.

Sent from my LG-LS980

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ascertion For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]