XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

My impressions, so far

Tip us?

woody1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 60
Default My impressions, so far

I got my G Pad on Tuesday and have been setting it up for the last few days. This is the first Android tab I've owned. I've been using Android phones for several years.

Everything has worked fine for me. No reboots, no glitches, if the infamous "blue line" is there, it's so minor that I haven't noticed it.

Brightness is perfectly adequate for my uses. If the color is not perfect, I would only notice if I put it side by side with another tab, and I haven't done that, so for me, it seems fine.

Contrast might need some work. I'll have to see what adjustments can be made sometime later.

I've rooted, installed TWRP and I'm all set for whatever ROMs come down the road.

One thing that I wanted to do with this tab was to replace an aging netbook that I lost recently. So, I've paired the G Pad with an Anker bluetooth keyboard and I'm using a standard Logitech wireless mouse that's connected by OTG cable. This setup works great. It pretty much turns the pad into a mini laptop.

So, bottom line, after 2+ days, I'm very happy with the device. It does everything I need it to do. When set up with the mouse and keyboard, it's a great laptop replacement. Used in hand, it's the perfect size for reading and watching videos.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woody1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SCWells72
Old
Thanks Meter 79
Thanks for sharing. I have a Nook HD+ running CM 10.2 now and really like the size, but it can be a little sluggish. I picked up a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition on Monday and tried it out but then returned it. It's a nice piece of hardware, but it was larger than I'd want, and the hardware button placement really got in the way. Then I found a pointer to the G Pad 8.3 and thought it might be a solid option given the size and hardware specs. I also use my tablet as you've described...as a tablet in my personal time (browsing, light email, reading news/books/magazines, and playing simple games) and as a pseudo-laptop replacement when I'm at work, accessing my work machine via remote desktop while in meetings. It's sounds like it's a perfect device for those duties.

I'll keep an eye out for another sale over the next few weeks. The Nook HD+ is working fine for now so I don't need to make a snap decision, and there's still a chance that Google releases a new Nexus based on this device (or so the recent rumors say). If I do pick one up, I'll post my own impressions.

woody1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 60
The only thing about the G Pad that I don't like is that the speakers are kind of tinny, and they would probably sound better if they were front-facing. They're ok for voice, but not great for music. Although one reviewer I read complained about the sound through the audio jack, I don't know what he's talking about. For me, sound through the audio jack using high end headphones is great.

joshuadjohnson22
Old
Thanks Meter 709

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody1 View Post
I got my G Pad on Tuesday and have been setting it up for the last few days. This is the first Android tab I've owned. I've been using Android phones for several years.

Everything has worked fine for me. No reboots, no glitches, if the infamous "blue line" is there, it's so minor that I haven't noticed it.

Brightness is perfectly adequate for my uses. If the color is not perfect, I would only notice if I put it side by side with another tab, and I haven't done that, so for me, it seems fine.

Contrast might need some work. I'll have to see what adjustments can be made sometime later.

I've rooted, installed TWRP and I'm all set for whatever ROMs come down the road.

One thing that I wanted to do with this tab was to replace an aging netbook that I lost recently. So, I've paired the G Pad with an Anker bluetooth keyboard and I'm using a standard Logitech wireless mouse that's connected by OTG cable. This setup works great. It pretty much turns the pad into a mini laptop.

So, bottom line, after 2+ days, I'm very happy with the device. It does everything I need it to do. When set up with the mouse and keyboard, it's a great laptop replacement. Used in hand, it's the perfect size for reading and watching videos.
I think the contrast in colors can be adjusted, I'm hoping the CM builds will fix it or a mod or future update will fix that.

My experiences are about the same as yours... I also have had no screen issues(no blue lines, very little back light blead), no lag issues... Just works. I wish LG took some time to properly adjust the colors like they did on my G2... that is the only thing!
If I have helped you out, it doesn't hurt to hit that thanks button!
Current:
LG G2
LG G Pad 8.3
Previous Devices:

Nokia 6225, Razr V3i, Nokia 6682, Nokia N73, Sony Ericson w810i, HTC S710, HTC Touch, iPhone, iPhone 3G Black, iPhone 3GS Black, iPhone 4 Black, Samsung Galaxy S2 Black, iPhone 4 Black (again), Pantech Burst Black, HTC One X grey, Samsung Galaxy S4 Black, HTC One Black, HTC One Silver, Galaxy S4 Active Urban Grey(current)

..also had multiple "Go Phones"

katsika
Old
Thanks Meter 48
i m totally satisfied with gpad but something seems to annoying me about the playback of hd videos in offical youtube app. I think they look a bit blurred. Is it only me or have you noticed it too?

robertc88
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by katsika View Post
i m totally satisfied with gpad but something seems to annoying me about the playback of hd videos in offical youtube app. I think they look a bit blurred. Is it only me or have you noticed it too?
Just finished watching Planet Earth Amazing Scenery by Robert Revol. It is test video on youtube. If it is not jaw dropping, you got a lemon or your connection to play it is not up to snuff.

katsika
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Just finished watching Planet Earth Amazing Scenery by Robert Revol. It is test video on youtube. If it is not jaw dropping, you got a lemon or your connection to play it is not up to snuff.
I apologise, i should had made clearer what i mean. I watched the video you say and in portrait mode it looks amazing, definitely fantastic. In landscape mode and full screen though it appears with very slightly lower quality. I copied a hd video from my pc and it plays with amazing quality in full screen mode. So what i want to say is that with the official youtube application, the hd videos in landscape mode look very little blur in contrary to portrait mode where they look 100% perfect.

woody1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by katsika View Post
I apologise, i should had made clearer what i mean. I watched the video you say and in portrait mode it looks amazing, definitely fantastic. In landscape mode and full screen though it appears with very slightly lower quality. I copied a hd video from my pc and it plays with amazing quality in full screen mode. So what i want to say is that with the official youtube application, the hd videos in landscape mode look very little blur in contrary to portrait mode where they look 100% perfect.
YouTube is streaming and the videos played directly from files are not. That's probably the difference.

farnham
Old
(Last edited by farnham; 9th December 2013 at 04:49 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Had mine a few days and it meets my expectations.
Crisp graphics, great sound with my LG HBS-730 Bluetooth Stereo Headset, and quick navigation. I believe that this is the frame that will pop up in 2014 as the Nexus 8.

Rushto
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I've had mine for about a week now. I really like it. It meets my expectations and more. It definitely feels like quality and I have no issues.

If I had a complaint, it'd be the battery. It's not bad, but it's not good. I'm used to my 10" tablet lasting a few days. But compared to 10" tablets, this thing is so compact. Worth the trade off. I just have to charge it more often.