5,606,465 Members 33,408 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 7 Suddenly Dead Touch Screen

Tip us?

Choriandus
Old
(Last edited by Choriandus; 9th December 2013 at 10:51 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Unhappy Nexus 7 Suddenly Dead Touch Screen

Hi! I was using my N7 3G reading the news and suddenly it became unresponsive. It took about 2 seconds to recognize my touch. So i decided to turn it off and turn it back on. But after it turned back on the touch screen is completely dead. I can't even unlock it. Power and volume buttons still work. I'm on CM 10.1.3
I even forced reboot it many times by holding the power button for about 20s but that didn't help. Anyone ever had this issue too? It seems like a hardware problem. If that's the case i would have it repaired by ASUS but I'm afraid that I won't get warranty because I'm not on stock ROM+rooted+unlocked bootloader

iBolski
Old
Thanks Meter 287
Can you get into recovery? If so, try wiping the cache partition first to see if that helps.

If that doesn't help, do you have usb debugging enabled? If so,
should be able to use the Nexus 7 toolkit. Just boot your tablet, plug it in your machine, fire up the Nexus 7 toolkit and have it unroot and relock your BL.

You might also want to try and see if you can backup your data partition and your internal storage with the N7 toolkit. If you can do that, then you won't lose any of your data or application settings.

You should also be able to flash it back to stock as well via the toolkit and have it erase the user data.

If usb debugging is NOT enabled, then you might be hosed. You could at least do a factory reset in the main recovery.

Other than that, not much else can probably be done unless you want to open your tablet yourself and ensure all the connections are tight. There might be a lose connection for the digitizer and that's all you would need to do to fix it. Of course, that voids your warranty if you open it yourself. I don't know exactly where the hook up is. I'm sure a quick Google will tell you how to fix this if it's possible.

It definitely sounds like either your digitizer is bad or it's got a lose connection.

Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Please hit "Thanks" if this post helped you.

RAZR HD (unlocked) running Eclipse
32gb Nexus 7
The Following User Says Thank You to iBolski For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Choriandus
Old
(Last edited by Choriandus; 9th December 2013 at 01:10 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
thanks for your help. I was going to plug it in my PC BUT IT'S WORKING AGAIN. I was like WTF lol . So it must be a lose connection i guess .
By the way, I'm planning to go back to stock in case it happen again so that i can get my warranty at ASUS. And I don't know much about rooting/ flashing so I want to ask some questions .
1. Can I flash google's stock ROM just like flashing other ROMs like CM with bootloader unlocked?
2. Have you tried KitKat. If so have you experienced battery drain? The only reason I rooted and installed CM is that I hate the battery draining issue. I had it since I updated my N7 3G to 4.2.2 and it kept happenings in 4.3

Anyway thanks a lot

xateeq
Old
Thanks Meter 149
So far no major issue with battery and yes flashing process is the same just be careful u need to update ur bootloader to go to 4.4 and flashing wrong bootloader will brick ur device to be careful and read every thing.

Please ignore my spelling mistakes. English is not my native language.
"A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
"Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive."

The Following User Says Thank You to xateeq For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Choriandus
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by xateeq View Post
So far no major issue with battery and yes flashing process is the same just be careful u need to update ur bootloader to go to 4.4 and flashing wrong bootloader will brick ur device to be careful and read every thing.

Please ignore my spelling mistakes. English is not my native language.
Well, I used wug's nexus root toolkit to root and unlock bootloader. If I use the option:"go back to stock lock bootloader and flash stock", can I install update from OTA like normal again?

xateeq
Old
Thanks Meter 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choriandus View Post
Well, I used wug's nexus root toolkit to root and unlock bootloader. If I use the option:"go back to stock lock bootloader and flash stock", can I install update from OTA like normal again?
YES
"A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
"Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive."