Which kernel for 4.4 KK ?

Tip us?

sas_sas
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 70
Default Which kernel for 4.4 KK ?

I am with 4.4.KK Nightly rom.
I wonder which kernel is better battery saving vise, Semaphore or McKay Kernel ?
Any suggestion?
- General Discovery Mobile 16GB
- Samsung Galaxy S GT-i9000 phone,
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6800 Tablet,
- 8" Hyundai Rock X tablet (its Digitizer defected after 2 weeks use).

xsenman
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2132
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas_sas View Post
I wonder which kernel is better battery saving vise, Semaphore or McKay Kernel ?
Any suggestion?
Don't get me wrong. why not test them for a week each on your phone, as it will never be the same on someone else device as each user may have different preferences and usage.

so relying on suggestions may not be the wiser move for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to xsenman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sas_sas
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsenman View Post
Don't get me wrong. why not test them for a week each on your phone, as it will never be the same on someone else device as each user may have different preferences and usage.

so relying on suggestions may not be the wiser move for you.

Of course I am going to test myself but, is not it wise to benefit from others, who have more knowledge, opinion too ?
- General Discovery Mobile 16GB
- Samsung Galaxy S GT-i9000 phone,
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6800 Tablet,
- 8" Hyundai Rock X tablet (its Digitizer defected after 2 weeks use).

xsenman
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2132
Quote:
Of course I am going to test myself but, is not it wise to benefit from others, who have more knowledge, opinion too ?
yes, hopefully others will give you their opinions on this thread, but it may differ in your device as it would not be based on your configuration and usage as such it may not be the best method to test battery consumption for your device. what I am saying is that we all have differant usage and applications for our device, so battery consumption will vary from user to user.

The Following User Says Thank You to xsenman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

knuckles1978
Old
Thanks Meter 225
The difference between kernels is probably not that great.

I think you could make more difference to battery life by having less apps running in the background preventing the phone from sleeping.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to knuckles1978 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Rohitdahiya
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Any suggestion?
Both the kernels are nice according to me. You may also try the latest cyancore kernel by @ts1506. Also his cyanAOSP ROM is the lightest KitKat ROM.

For better battery life, make sure you have the less no. of running apps in background.
Try the following:

1. Don't over-clock your device as high frequencies need higher voltages.

2. Our Galaxy S has Super AMOLED display, which consumes more battery while the white screen but consumes least when the display is black.
Therefore, use black wallpaper for screen. And try to prefer the apps with black background.

3. Use Greenify app to disable app running in background.

4. Switch of GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth and mobile data when not in use.

5. Under-clock your device while sleeping to save power.

6. Kill apps while not using them.
* instead is writing thanks, press the thanks
button as it matters a lot to me (only if you feel
I helped you )

Motorola c100--> Nokia 1100--> Spice S8--> Motorola L7--> Nokia 5310 XpressMusic--> Nokia 1200--> Nokia 5800 XpressMusic--> HTC Desire A8181--> Samsung Galaxy S i9000--> Nokia E7--> Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100-->
Samsung Galaxy S i9000 (Currently using <3 and found no reason to switch to any other smartphone because of awesome xda development)
The Following User Says Thank You to Rohitdahiya For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

loupox
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Any suggestion?
First of all, hi everyone, since this is my first post on XDA!

In my opinion, both Semaphore an MacKay work smoothly with 4.4, and they are battery friendly as well (i'm using MacKay's ROM).
You can yet have a slight battery consumption gain by using semaphore's auto brightness with a dark profile.
The Following User Says Thank You to loupox For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Roph
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Running CM 11 Nightly with Semaphore, I would say my battery usage has gone down from 4.3 Slimbean. I'm using the same apps and my phone the same amount.

Kitkat is great. I can't speak highly of the stock CM kernel though, you should definitly use something else.

The Following User Says Thank You to Roph For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]