XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Locking boot after rooting

Tip us?

foxyfennec
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Locking boot after rooting

Is it possible to lock bootloader after installing cyanogenmod? So that boot thing can't be accessed again to wipe/steal everything?

It's just encryption doesn't work on Xperia T for cyanogenmod, it just fails every time and wipes the device. Re-locking the bootloader will solve this.

matt4321
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 970

DONATE TO ME
Nope, the only way to relock is to flash the relock ftf, so everything would be stock

Nexus 7 (2013) | Sony Xperia T | Motorola Xoom
Follow Me On Twitter

gregbradley
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3355

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyfennec View Post
Is it possible to lock bootloader after installing cyanogenmod? So that boot thing can't be accessed again to wipe/steal everything?

It's just encryption doesn't work on Xperia T for cyanogenmod, it just fails every time and wipes the device. Re-locking the bootloader will solve this.
Locked bootloader = stock kernel = no CM roms.

You do not need to unlock the bootloader to root, but you do in order to flash CM. On Xperia devices the bootloader has to remain unlocked for custom kernels to boot.

If you are unsure, then read this.
If you are still unsure, watch this.

My contributions.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. Sir Isaac Newton

[X10] | [NEO] | [Xperia T/TX] |
[Xperia Z1]
You are free to share my work, but please provide the correct credits and a link to my original thread.
<<DO NOT MIRROR MY FILES>>

Follow me on twitter

foxyfennec
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Locked bootloader = stock kernel = no CM roms.

You do not need to unlock the bootloader to root, but you do in order to flash CM. On Xperia devices the bootloader has to remain unlocked for custom kernels to boot.
Is there a boot.img that will not give all the options to delete everything and just load CM?

gregbradley
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3355

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Is there a boot.img that will not give all the options to delete everything and just load CM?
I will say it again
Quote:
Locked bootloader = stock kernel = no CM roms. On Xperia devices the bootloader has to remain unlocked for custom kernels to boot.
Also, there are no options to "delete" in the bootloader, you don't access a bootloader "menu". The bootloader is used to load the CM kernel which is needed for the CM rom to boot.

My contributions.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. Sir Isaac Newton

[Xperia Z1]
You are free to share my work, but please provide the correct credits and a link to my original thread.

Follow me on twitter

foxyfennec
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
I will say it again

Also, there are no options to "delete" in the bootloader, you don't access a bootloader "menu". The bootloader is used to load the CM kernel which is needed for the CM rom to boot.
I turn on my phone.
I press volume keys.
I am presented with a menu which allows me to wipe everything, or backup/restore to SD.

That menu allows me to wipe or steal all data on the phone without a passcode or anything.

I only have access to that menu after putting the CM boot.img image onto the phone.

Whether this is the bootloader or not, or a menu or not - I would argue that it is since it comes from boot.img and is a list of selectable functions - seems menu-like to me doesn't matter. There's no point getting embroiled in semantics.

Is there an alternative boot.img that doesn't respond to the volume keys and just loads cyanogenmod after it's been installed?

gregbradley
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3355

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I turn on my phone.
I press volume keys.
I am presented with a menu which allows me to wipe everything, or backup/restore to SD.

That menu allows me to wipe or steal all data on the phone without a passcode or anything.

I only have access to that menu after putting the CM boot.img image onto the phone.

Whether this is the bootloader or not, or a menu or not - I would argue that it is since it comes from boot.img and is a list of selectable functions - seems menu-like to me doesn't matter. There's no point getting embroiled in semantics.

Is there an alternative boot.img that doesn't respond to the volume keys and just loads cyanogenmod after it's been installed?
That is not the bootloader, it is recovery menu that you can install after rooting.
I would argue that you need the physical phone in your possession to be able to make a backup and steal the data via recovery, but if you have the phone, then not having recovery will not prevent anyone stealing the data. Its a bit like locking the door after the thief has already been and gone.

However, if you want to delete the recovery just delete the ramdisks from system/bin
If they are not there then they are integrated into the kernel and you will have to decompile the kernel, delete the ramdisk and recompile.

However, the use of recovery is essential and I would say that there is zero risk of anyone stealing the data from your phone.

My contributions.

[Xperia Z1]

Follow me on twitter

foxyfennec
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
That is not the bootloader, it is recovery menu that you can install after rooting.
I would argue that you need the physical phone in your possession to be able to make a backup and steal the data via recovery, but if you have the phone, then not having recovery will not prevent anyone stealing the data. Its a bit like locking the door after the thief has already been and gone.

However, if you want to delete the recovery just delete the ramdisks from system/bin
If they are not there then they are integrated into the kernel and you will have to decompile the kernel, delete the ramdisk and recompile.

However, the use of recovery is essential and I would say that there is zero risk of anyone stealing the data from your phone.
So if someone steals my phone and accesses the recovery menu, there is zero risk of them stealing data from my unencrypted phone?

gregbradley
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3355

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
So if someone steals my phone and accesses the recovery menu, there is zero risk of them stealing data from my unencrypted phone?
NO, but they have your phone, so they can steal it anyway...

You need to install an app that will delete/wipe your data if you lose it, that's the only guaranteed way to do it.

PS, And I have told you how to remove the recovery as well, so you can always just do that...

My contributions.

[Xperia Z1]

Follow me on twitter