5,599,616 Members 43,611 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Understanding question: Full-Backup possible?

Tip us?

Andro1dism
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Wink Understanding question: Full-Backup possible?

HI,

I am asking myself the following question:

Is a full (=complete) Backup even possible? Basically, i.e. technically, it should be possible, since all the data is there and just needs to be backed up.

So much for the theory.

My question in detail goes like this: Is it possible to make a full backup from say JB 4.1.2, unlock the bootloader, install custom-ROMs, play sometime with it, see what one likes, and then re-stock the phone to retail 4.1.2, restore the backup and use the phone like it was before messing around with it?

I did install a custom ROM but want to try a few others. But the stupid thing with restoring the apps from google play by installing every single one, alining them as before in folders and stuff takes up way too much time to just mess around like that....

Thanks for hints and tipps!

Chamelleon
Old
Thanks Meter 116

DONATE TO ME
If there is no problems with restoring backup (like on few Motorola devices caused size of partitions) just use CWM or TWRP to backup Your ROM and when You'll be bored with customs restore full rom with data using CWM as well.
Motorola RAZR i - 4.2.1 9.82l-50_SMI-26 Unlocked
Motorola Defy Plus DFP-231 Root - DFP-188, DFP-231, DFP-2311 BL7 Root

chandon123
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Try making a backup with CWM or TWRP, then flash whatever you like and recover your app data and stuff from your CWM backup with Nandroid Manager on Play Store. There are others apps that do the same also (Titaniumbackup,etc). Get the donation version if you want to restore sms, phone calls, etc.

dagoban
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Correct me if I'm wrong but once you unlock the bootloader there is no way back to a locked bootloader!
So once you do so your warranty is void.

Also when you unlock your bootloader your entire phone gets wiped, so every data is gone.

My suggestion:
Install twerkmymoto, you phone won't get wiped, you then can make backups and play around with your phone without unlocking your bootloader.

You can easily change a lot of settings with xposed so you have the stable stock rom with the UI features of a custom rom.