5,600,053 Members 43,004 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Lost media files on internal after 4.3 update! Please help need to recover!!

Tip us?

delfinich
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Lost media files on internal after 4.3 update! Please help need to recover!!

Hi,
I've recently updated my Bell SGH i377M to 4.3.

Being a noob and a dumbass, I didn't think to backup my data, especially after they've mentioned in the update "and I'm paraphrasing: your data should be safe...however, you MAY want to backup..."

After the update, I've noticed that all my settings, accounts and files were gone.
I've rooted the device to try to restore them using various recovery tools I've found, but the only files I kept finding, were the ones I've actually deleted and none of the ones I was trying to recover.
I've tried root explorer to try to access /data folder for any backups, but no luck...

That being said, I've noticed, that the available memory on the internal is 8.7GB out of 16GB total and I haven't really used the phone since the update (trying not to overwrite the deleted files), therefore I still treasure the thought, that my pre-update files can be still buried somewhere in the phone...

If anyone could help out with some advise on how to recover, I would be eternally grateful!
I have some very special photo moments and videos I cant stand to lose ((

Thank you in advance and hoping for some Christmas spirit over here!

Joku1981
Old
Thanks Meter 457

DONATE TO ME
If the update deleted ur Internal SD and u hadnt a backup data.... I think u dont gona recover nothing. Im sorry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CLICK "THANKS" BUTTON IF I HELPED YA

netanalyzer
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joku1981 View Post
If the update deleted ur Internal SD and u hadnt a backup data.... I think u dont gona recover nothing. Im sorry
try with photorec (linux)

or recuva (windows)

delfinich
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joku1981 View Post
There is still a question of the missing ~6GB of data space. When I connect the device to the PC it shows only 9.7GB Total out of the 16GB my device's storage shows.

I've read some threads on this forum about people finding their files in data/media file, moving them to /0 folder and gaining access...but my /data/media folder doesn't contain anything useful...

Are there any other locations on root, that might contain the pre-update data backup?

Thanks again for any leads!