XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] OmniRom flashing question

Tip us?

droidzen10
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] OmniRom flashing question

I apologize for the Noob question(s), but does anyone know if the **.zip.md5sum** file as listed below needs to be flashed in conjunction with the actual Rom? If so, do they need to be flashed in a particular order? I haven't been doing so since it appears to be a blank file based on the size. I only ask because ever since switching to OmniRom from GummyRom, my phone seems to get stuck at the Samsung logo screen. About half the time it requires a battery pull because my phone seems to just be stuck at boot. I'm using the latest version of CWM and have read in the Omni thread that switching to the latest version of TWRP resolved the problem. I am just curious if others are or have experienced this problem and what they did to resolve it?

Lastly, I know this is more like a three part question and if I have to post it in another thread I will. But I did try to install TWRP from the Goo Manager app and when the download page loads it doesn't install anything. The page just says it's preparing my download, but doesn't download anything. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

I am using a Verizon Galaxy S4

omni-4.4.1-20131208-jfltevzw-NIGHTLY.zip 2013-12-08 18:40 193587 KB
omni-4.4.1-20131208-jfltevzw-NIGHTLY.zip.md5sum 2013-12-08 18:40 0 KB

Tweakecho
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidzen10 View Post
I apologize for the Noob question(s), but does anyone know if the **.zip.md5sum** file as listed below needs to be flashed in conjunction with the actual Rom? If so, do they need to be flashed in a particular order? I haven't been doing so since it appears to be a blank file based on the size. I only ask because ever since switching to OmniRom from GummyRom, my phone seems to get stuck at the Samsung logo screen. About half the time it requires a battery pull because my phone seems to just be stuck at boot. I'm using the latest version of CWM and have read in the Omni thread that switching to the latest version of TWRP resolved the problem. I am just curious if others are or have experienced this problem and what they did to resolve it?

Lastly, I know this is more like a three part question and if I have to post it in another thread I will. But I did try to install TWRP from the Goo Manager app and when the download page loads it doesn't install anything. The page just says it's preparing my download, but doesn't download anything. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

I am using a Verizon Galaxy S4

omni-4.4.1-20131208-jfltevzw-NIGHTLY.zip 2013-12-08 18:40 193587 KB
omni-4.4.1-20131208-jfltevzw-NIGHTLY.zip.md5sum 2013-12-08 18:40 0 KB
First things first, the MD5sum is the checksum of the ROM at buildtime, all you need to do is have this in the same folder as the ROM when flashing and TWRP will verify the checksum of the ROM before installing, so if it is a mismatch it stops you right there.
It should not be flashed.
Its been a while since I used the twrp check-sum someone correct me if wrong.....I verify the MD5 before i put the rom on phone to ensure its a good download.

GooManager has always been flaky on my Skyrocket and on my buddies S3, but that is just me talking, nothing against goomanager. That being said I have always preferred to flash recoveries from the recovery, or odin this ensures (me) that the flash went well.
You can almost always find a zip of the latest recovery for your phone in one of the development threads or you can ask on the S4 Q&A thread if someone has one or if they can get you one. I haven't been to your forum but i'm sure there is a TWRP thread to follow.

droidzen10
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default OmniRom flashing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakecho View Post
First things first, the MD5sum is the checksum of the ROM at buildtime, all you need to do is have this in the same folder as the ROM when flashing and TWRP will verify the checksum of the ROM before installing, so if it is a mismatch it stops you right there.
It should not be flashed.
Its been a while since I used the twrp check-sum someone correct me if wrong.....I verify the MD5 before i put the rom on phone to ensure its a good download.

GooManager has always been flaky on my Skyrocket and on my buddies S3, but that is just me talking, nothing against goomanager. That being said I have always preferred to flash recoveries from the recovery, or odin this ensures (me) that the flash went well.
You can almost always find a zip of the latest recovery for your phone in one of the development threads or you can ask on the S4 Q&A thread if someone has one or if they can get you one. I haven't been to your forum but i'm sure there is a TWRP thread to follow.
Thanks for your answer and suggestion regarding flashing a recovery. I've been doing a lot of reading here on XDA and quite a few have suggested using Flashify to flash recoveries....

Riiquiem
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakecho View Post
It doesn't work that way for me. I always put the files in the same folder but TWRP 2.6.3.3 always says that there is no md5 file to be found.

AngryHapposai
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riiquiem View Post
It doesn't work that way for me. I always put the files in the same folder but TWRP 2.6.3.3 always says that there is no md5 file to be found.
It's because the file extension is wrong.

Zip md5 Verification (looks for file with zipname.zip.md5)

So, if you downloaded these files :

omni-4.4.1-20131208-jfltevzw-NIGHTLY.zip
omni-4.4.1-20131208-jfltevzw-NIGHTLY.zip.md5sum

You need to rename "omni-4.4.1-20131208-jfltevzw-NIGHTLY.zip.md5sum" to "omni-4.4.1-20131208-jfltevzw-NIGHTLY.zip.md5".

Oppo Find 5 Midnight 32GB
OmniROM 4.4.2 - NIGHTLIES
The Following User Says Thank You to AngryHapposai For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dibblebill
Old
Thanks Meter 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryHapposai View Post
It's because the file extension is wrong.

Zip md5 Verification (looks for file with zipname.zip.md5)

So, if you downloaded these files :

omni-4.4.1-20131208-jfltevzw-NIGHTLY.zip
omni-4.4.1-20131208-jfltevzw-NIGHTLY.zip.md5sum

You need to rename "omni-4.4.1-20131208-jfltevzw-NIGHTLY.zip.md5sum" to "omni-4.4.1-20131208-jfltevzw-NIGHTLY.zip.md5".
That explains why mine always reports an error as well. *fixes all future build md5's
Lord of the Snarkô
ROM's:
Tempest [OmniROM] 4.4 (Manta) (m7att)