5,598,397 Members 48,205 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Xperia Z1 review, previously a TX user

Tip us?

Jiyeon90
Old
Thanks Meter 100
I experienced that problem too, but since the .534 firmware update everything looks stunning and very sharp, well fo me at least.

Sent from my Xperia Z1 using Tapatalk

1337rice
Old
(Last edited by 1337rice; 9th December 2013 at 07:52 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
.534 firmware, first two screenshots are not resized to show true-to-size close up detail.
Video is 720p .mkv
X-Reality On and Off accordingly

Just looking at the words alone, you can see the white outline (not the English words) increase. Face is rough due to oversharpening, tree leaves look more blotchy like it's from an oil painting

Sweater doesn't look soft/natural like it's supposed to. From jawline to the temple, it shows jagged lines whereas the XR Off is perfectly smooth.

Certain scenes are less noticeable, you can see the saturation by looking at the colour of the face, backdrop, and sweater. Even the TBS tv logo is sharpened.
Sony Xperia Z1 / Sony Xperia TX (Bricked) / LG Nexus 4 16gb / ASUS Nexus 7 (SmoothROM V5.3) / Sony Walkman Z / HP Touchpad (CM9/webOS)
---
Past: DoCoMo P905i -- DoCoMo SH905i -- DoCoMo N905i -- docomo SH-01a -- Nokia N97 -- Samsung Nexus S -- Apple iPhone 4
The Following User Says Thank You to 1337rice For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

1337rice
Old
(Last edited by 1337rice; 9th December 2013 at 07:48 PM.) Reason: Delete, double post
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
*Delete* double post

Jiyeon90
Old
Thanks Meter 100
Yeah that's how it looks on mine, I had to look really close to notice the things you mentioned, which means I normally wouldn't notice them when watching videos. From your pictures the ones with x-reality on are sharper and colors are nicer, so yeah at least for me x-reality improves videos greatly, which is why I always use it.

1337rice
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiyeon90 View Post
Yeah that's how it looks on mine, I had to look really close to notice the things you mentioned, which means I normally wouldn't notice them when watching videos. From your pictures the ones with x-reality on are sharper and colors are nicer, so yeah at least for me x-reality improves videos greatly, which is why I always use it.

Videos are already sharp enough without the XR. This is 5 inches on 1920x1080, compared to my 46" TV at 1920x1080 or 27" IPS at 2560x1440, this is already as crisp as the videos could get with a 441ppi. Colour is off with the XR as it seems to use whatever primary colour that is dominant and change the white balance and contrast accordingly, which results in "artificially deeper blacks".

If there is a noticeable amount of sharpness judging by the screenshots on a bigger screen with a lower pixel density, then this is really obvious at a much smaller screen with a high pixel density.
Sony Xperia Z1 / Sony Xperia TX (Bricked) / LG Nexus 4 16gb / ASUS Nexus 7 (SmoothROM V5.3) / Sony Walkman Z / HP Touchpad (CM9/webOS)
---
Past: DoCoMo P905i -- DoCoMo SH905i -- DoCoMo N905i -- docomo SH-01a -- Nokia N97 -- Samsung Nexus S -- Apple iPhone 4