5,594,151 Members 46,319 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Instructions on how to get OTA updates on rooted phone..

Tip us?
 
Tianhe
Old
#21  
Tianhe's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 23
Posts: 170
Join Date: Mar 2011
Theoretically, flashing stock recovery should do it. But I guess you do need TA to reset counter to 0 and unroot through SuperSU itself. I am not sure but the update package might check for stock values in partitions before it is flashed.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using xda app-developers app
"From the legacy of GT-I5801 to I9082"
 
maxxinn
Old
#22  
maxxinn's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 61
Posts: 297
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: DELHI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tianhe View Post
Theoretically, flashing stock recovery should do it. But I guess you do need TA to reset counter to 0 and unroot through SuperSU itself. I am not sure but the update package might check for stock values in partitions before it is flashed.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using xda app-developers app
Me too think so, bcoz when I flashed the ota file through stock recovery, which was shared by akirathoriyama , it was not successfull. Mine was rooted but in order to flash tha ota file, I changed the recovery to stock and used triangle away and even unrooted. But then also it was not successful. So I flashed the mj3 then flashed the ota of mj4 .
@rejoice. Don't you lose your user apps and data , when you flash firmware files through odin??

Sent from my GT-I9082 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

FROM GOD'S OWN COUNTRY...
 
rejocie001
Old
(Last edited by rejocie001; 8th December 2013 at 10:09 PM.)
#23  
rejocie001's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 360
Posts: 1,230
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by akiratoriyama View Post
Flashing stock recovery will do the trick instead of flashing whole firmware

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2556559

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk
Flashing a stock recovery will get OTA UPDATES.. And also use need to make system status official. Without using triangle away and superuser disable,, u cannot make system status official unless you manually do a factory reset.. And one more point flashing a stock recovery WILL NOT SUCCESSFUL IN INSTALLING OTA UPDATES,will give errors while installing updates,,,that's y FLASHING A WHOLE FIRMWARE WILL ONLY INSTALLS THE OTA UPDATES SUCCESSFULLY.. HOPE THIS HELPS YOU.. ANYWAY NICE QUESTION,

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
 
rejocie001
Old
#24  
rejocie001's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 360
Posts: 1,230
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxinn View Post
Me too think so, bcoz when I flashed the ota file through stock recovery, which was shared by akirathoriyama , it was not successfull. Mine was rooted but in order to flash tha ota file, I changed the recovery to stock and used triangle away and even unrooted. But then also it was not successful. So I flashed the mj3 then flashed the ota of mj4 .
@rejoice. Don't you lose your user apps and data , when you flash firmware files through odin??

Sent from my GT-I9082 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Bro, I'm sure flashing a new firmware over old one will not reset your data and user apps... This is my practical experience not theoretically bluffing..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
 
akiratoriyama
Old
#25  
akiratoriyama's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 440
Posts: 1,352
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mumbai

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rejocie001 View Post
Flashing a stock recovery will get OTA UPDATES.. And also use need to make system status official. Without using triangle away and superuser disable,, u cannot make system status official unless you manually do a factory reset.. And one more point flashing a stock recovery WILL NOT SUCCESSFUL IN INSTALLING OTA UPDATES,will give errors while installing updates,,,that's y FLASHING A WHOLE FIRMWARE WILL ONLY INSTALLS THE OTA UPDATES SUCCESSFULLY.. HOPE THIS HELPS YOU.. ANYWAY NICE QUESTION,

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
Hmmm. could be possible
I myself got a nv-firmware assert error while flashing ota but then I thought it was just the case with me
Thanks for testing anyways guys

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk
RIP Long live Optimus One
 
tharmor
Old
#26  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 89
Posts: 237
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kashmir
Does Not work !!!

I have tried this so many times before.......same process ! May be something device specific.
 
drshreenivaas
Old
#27  
drshreenivaas's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 33
Join Date: Oct 2010
I agree with OP. I resought flash counter with triangle away & flashed updated rom wirh odin. I got new rom with root privileges lost & device status still custom. But I didn't lose data & apps. Only this that bothered me was yellow triangle.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk
 
maxxinn
Old
#28  
maxxinn's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 61
Posts: 297
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: DELHI
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshreenivaas View Post
I agree with OP. I resought flash counter with triangle away & flashed updated rom wirh odin. I got new rom with root privileges lost & device status still custom. But I didn't lose data & apps. Only this that bothered me was yellow triangle.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk
Yellow triangle is of stock recovery's. If you flash an ota through recovery, you won't ever lose apps and data.

FROM GOD'S OWN COUNTRY...
 
rejocie001
Old
(Last edited by rejocie001; 10th December 2013 at 04:16 AM.)
#29  
rejocie001's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 360
Posts: 1,230
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshreenivaas View Post
I agree with OP. I resought flash counter with triangle away & flashed updated rom wirh odin. I got new rom with root privileges lost & device status still custom. But I didn't lose data & apps. Only this that bothered me was yellow triangle.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk
You have to first make device status official... Then only you get OTA UPDATES.. So triangle away is not only to reset bin counter there is an option to disable superuser at boot,
And for safety u can also disable superuser from the apps.. Check screenshots default is enabled
After restart the phone.. Check system status is official or not.. If it is official, go to download mode and flash the firmware which u already have.. After finish the process just try to update the phone through OTA..


Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to rejocie001 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
drshreenivaas
Old
#30  
drshreenivaas's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 33
Join Date: Oct 2010
Thanks for Informed reply. Whole thread is informative for noobs like me who was & still is afraid to fiddle with the phone

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Google ATAP Reveals Project Ara Developer Kits and 100K Prize Challenge

Today, Paul Eremenko from Google’s Advanced Technology and … more

Configure Your System Settings on a Per-App Basis

Do you ever like to make sure that certain device settings are enabled prior to entering a … more

How to Hack An Android App (Don’t Try This at Home) – XDA Developer TV

Listen, don’t cheat in your games. So don’t … more

Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview Now Available!

About two weeks ago at the BUILD conference in San Francisco, Microsoft unveiled Windows … more