XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Stock Galaxy S4 and Kenwood DDX616

Tip us?

Jimmersd
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default [Q] Stock Galaxy S4 and Kenwood DDX616

This is not my first Android phone. I recently upgraded from an HTC HD2 running a flavor of Energy Sense 2.3 to this Galaxy S4. Today is the first time I have tried to access the music on my SDCard using a USB connecting to the S4 and have encountered some BS propriatary Samsung block telling me that I am not allowed to access a device that isn't Windows blah blah compatible. WTF?? Never seen this garbage before.

I haven't gotten around to rooting the phone yet...well, because I just haven't. But this almost caused me to toss the thing out the window at 70mph.

What did I miss?

Jimmersd
Old
(Last edited by Jimmersd; 9th December 2013 at 09:32 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmersd View Post
This is not my first Android phone. I recently upgraded from an HTC HD2 running a flavor of Energy Sense 2.3 to this Galaxy S4. Today is the first time I have tried to access the music on my SDCard using a USB connecting to the S4 and have encountered some BS propriatary Samsung block telling me that I am not allowed to access a device that isn't Windows blah blah compatible. WTF?? Never seen this garbage before.

I haven't gotten around to rooting the phone yet...well, because I just haven't. But this almost caused me to toss the thing out the window at 70mph.

What did I miss?
In the immortal words of Miss Emily Litella

Nevermind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FnpaWQJO0

xdapowerapps
Old
Thanks Meter 190
Quote:
In the immortal words of Miss Elily Litella

Nevermind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FnpaWQJO0
Maybe post what you did to remedy the situation for people that might run into this problem in the future?

< - - - - - Please hit the button if I helped.

Unlocked TMO SGS4, SGH-M919, WarpDrive KK 4.4.2, Ktoonsez Kernel, PhilZ Touch Recovery.

HUGE THANKS TO rovo89 FOR HIS XPOSED FRAMEWORK. List of Xposed Modules

PanchoPlanet
Old
Thanks Meter 576

DONATE TO ME
What's wrong with Bluetooth?
DDX-616 should have BT connection. USB connection is no-go with kenwood and Samsung.
I have a DDX-719 and always use BT connectivity for music and phone calls.

Pp.

Sent from my Cmoded P5113 tab.
Sent from my Ginger infused Asus G73.

Jimmersd
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdapowerapps View Post
Maybe post what you did to remedy the situation for people that might run into this problem in the future?
I assumed I hadn't gotten any responses because the answer was obvious. Good or bad, people here tend to ignore rants or stupid questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoPlanet View Post
What's wrong with Bluetooth?
DDX-616 should have BT connection. USB connection is no-go with kenwood and Samsung.
I have a DDX-719 and always use BT connectivity for music and phone calls.

Pp.

The 616 does not support bluetooth audio streaming connections without an overpriced adapter. Only hands free phone. So in the past I have connected my HD2 or G1 through USB. The receiver would treat the phone as a Thumbdrive and all was good. I assumed the S4 would do the same.

Wrong!

The older Android phones would connect using USB Mass Storage function and the receiver would read all files up to the first 4 gig in the Music directory on the SD card. It ignored anything past that limit. Samsung in their screwed up idea of how things should work have disabled this feature and instead use the MTP function which is slower and requires the appropriate drivers to be installed on the device accessing the phone. In other words it restricts directory access to authorized computers thus breaking something that wasn't broke in the first place.

So after identifying the problem I determined the only fix was to finally root the phone and then to use the apps available to activate USB Mass Storage. Here is a link to the technique that I used http://www.android.gs/enable-the-usb...ung-galaxy-s4/

The only limitation is that I have no access to internal storage. But I'm okay with that.

Cheers!

PanchoPlanet
Old
Thanks Meter 576

DONATE TO ME
Wasn't aware of the DDX-616 not supporting BT, well at least you found the fix. Sharing your solution will help someone else so don't hesitate to share your future findings.

Pp. Good.

Sent from my Ginger infused Asus G73.

xdapowerapps
Old
Thanks Meter 190
Quote:
I assumed I hadn't gotten any responses because the answer was obvious. Good or bad, people here tend to ignore rants or stupid questions.
Not really, you just have to keep bumping your question until someone points it out. Over 5 million members, active or not, there are lots of threads and questions can go unanswered in a heartbeat. Just need to keep them resurfacing.

Unlocked TMO SGS4, SGH-M919, WarpDrive KK 4.4.2, Ktoonsez Kernel, PhilZ Touch Recovery.

Jimmersd
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Just an update. The process listed here does allow me to connect the S4 to my receiver in USB Mass Storage. But it doesn't work automatically. I have to open the Mass Storage app, open the menu for that ap and hit force SD Mount. This causes the Samsung OS to get out of way and the 616 to mount the extSdCard for reading.

Would like an app that does it automatically..

xdapowerapps
Old
Thanks Meter 190
Quote:
Just an update. The process listed here does allow me to connect the S4 to my receiver in USB Mass Storage. But it doesn't work automatically. I have to open the Mass Storage app, open the menu for that ap and hit force SD Mount. This causes the Samsung OS to get out of way and the 616 to mount the extSdCard for reading.

Would like an app that does it automatically..
Post a request here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2327541

Tags
ddx616, kenwood, usb connect