XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Transferring files from Win 7 to Vz HTC One, random issues

Tip us?

rgps
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Transferring files from Win 7 to Vz HTC One, random issues

When I plug my HTC into my computer via usb it mounts the MTP device and opening the device in file browser in Windows 7 pro shows "Internal storage" Which I can use to transfer files from/to my HTC one.

However sometimes it shows the device but opening the device just displays an empty window. "Internal Storage" is not present.

I have not found a pattern to when it works and when it does not. This is a new Verizon HTC one, unrooted.

Does anyone know why it sometimes lets me access internal storage and sometimes does not ?

Also is it possible to mount the device as a drive without having to root? Seems like what I am reading says it only works if rooted and an app is installed. It would be nice to be able to edit files from my PC instead of having to copy to PC, edit, copy back to Phone. I rooted my previous HTC Incredible so I may just root again but I like to work with stock for a while to decide if it is worth it.

Thanks

rgps
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgps View Post
When I plug my HTC into my computer via usb it mounts the MTP device and opening the device in file browser in Windows 7 pro shows "Internal storage" Which I can use to transfer files from/to my HTC one.

However sometimes it shows the device but opening the device just displays an empty window. "Internal Storage" is not present.

I have not found a pattern to when it works and when it does not. This is a new Verizon HTC one, unrooted.

Does anyone know why it sometimes lets me access internal storage and sometimes does not ?

Also is it possible to mount the device as a drive without having to root? Seems like what I am reading says it only works if rooted and an app is installed. It would be nice to be able to edit files from my PC instead of having to copy to PC, edit, copy back to Phone. I rooted my previous HTC Incredible so I may just root again but I like to work with stock for a while to decide if it is worth it.

Thanks
I figured it out. When I plugged in the HTC One. If it is already on and screen unlocked it will mount the "Internal Drive" if it is off it will wake when plugged in and the device will mount but the "Internal Drive" will not mount until the device is unlocked. Thought I would post my findings in case anyone had this issue and found this thread....
The Following User Says Thank You to rgps For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

-RUU's-
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgps View Post
I figured it out. When I plugged in the HTC One. If it is already on and screen unlocked it will mount the "Internal Drive" if it is off it will wake when plugged in and the device will mount but the "Internal Drive" will not mount until the device is unlocked. Thought I would post my findings in case anyone had this issue and found this thread....
thanks for figuring this out