5,597,354 Members 32,826 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What is the Safest Factory Image to Restore To?

Tip us?

buckoman
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] What is the Safest Factory Image to Restore To?

Hi All,

I've run into an odd problem. My S4 completely died on me last Saturday. I can access recovery and Odin Mode, but only if the phone is plugged in. No response from any combination of buttons should I try them without the plug in.

When I plug the phone in, it brings me to a boot loop of the battery icon with a circle indicator through it. Leave it long enough, and it'll turn off, vibrate, and do the same thing again. From what I understand, this is a problem with the main board, or the PBA. However, I figure I should try everything before I send it into Samsung for a repair.

I want to flash a factory image through Odin, just in case that could possibly be an issue. If the phone flashes correctly, but still won't boot, is that dangerous? (i.e. the phone needs a complete boot after flashing with Odin).

If I can freely flash without any side effects due to my issue, what would be the safest image to flash to it? I don't remember the name of it off-hand, but I think there were three I knew about.

My phone does come up as COM9 through Odin, so it recognizes there's a device.

Are there any risks to doing this, or should I skip all this work and just send it to Samsung?

Thanks in advance.

Smartrobot
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default Odin help

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckoman View Post
Hi All,

I've run into an odd problem. My S4 completely died on me last Saturday. I can access recovery and Odin Mode, but only if the phone is plugged in. No response from any combination of buttons should I try them without the plug in.

When I plug the phone in, it brings me to a boot loop of the battery icon with a circle indicator through it. Leave it long enough, and it'll turn off, vibrate, and do the same thing again. From what I understand, this is a problem with the main board, or the PBA. However, I figure I should try everything before I send it into Samsung for a repair.

I want to flash a factory image through Odin, just in case that could possibly be an issue. If the phone flashes correctly, but still won't boot, is that dangerous? (i.e. the phone needs a complete boot after flashing with Odin).

If I can freely flash without any side effects due to my issue, what would be the safest image to flash to it? I don't remember the name of it off-hand, but I think there were three I knew about.

My phone does come up as COM9 through Odin, so it recognizes there's a device.

Are there any risks to doing this, or should I skip all this work and just send it to Samsung?

Thanks in advance.
In the past the only time when I odin back to stock and It did not boot up I went to the stock recovery and did a factory wipe and started like a charm
Tags
battery, boot, image, odin, pba