XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Uninstalled Hangouts and now it's force closing

Tip us?

satannik
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default Uninstalled Hangouts and now it's force closing

I don't need hangouts so I uninstalled it but now it's giving me a force close every time I turn the screen on. Is there a way to get it back? I'm running a deodex rom.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app

aturbs
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by satannik View Post
I don't need hangouts so I uninstalled it but now it's giving me a force close every time I turn the screen on. Is there a way to get it back? I'm running a deodex rom.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app
reinstall hangouts?

satannik
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by aturbs View Post
reinstall hangouts?
Tried to from the play store but it didn't work. It's sort of a user app instead of a system app at that point. I even tried moving the apk to /system/app to no avail

aturbs
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Tried to from the play store but it didn't work. It's sort of a user app instead of a system app at that point. I even tried moving the apk to /system/app to no avail
are you on a custom rom? if so just reflash the rom. (you probably won't even need to do a full wipe)

satannik
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
are you on a custom rom? if so just reflash the rom. (you probably won't even need to do a full wipe)
Yeah but this rom was a pain to install. Failed in installing a bunch and then finally got it to work. I'm too lazy to redownload everything and set up my phone. Takes me about 2-3 hours

aturbs
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Yeah but this rom was a pain to install. Failed in installing a bunch and then finally got it to work. I'm too lazy to redownload everything and set up my phone. Takes me about 2-3 hours
you can do a dirty flash (without wiping) so you won't lose all your settings. it's usually not recommended becuase it can cause FC, but since you're already getting them, I'd say that its worth a shot

satannik
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
you can do a dirty flash (without wiping) so you won't lose all your settings. it's usually not recommended becuase it can cause FC, but since you're already getting them, I'd say that its worth a shot
Is this the only option? I'd rather not but if it is then I guess I'm going to have to.

aturbs
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Is this the only option? I'd rather not but if it is then I guess I'm going to have to.
i'm sure there's some way to put the Hangouts app back into the app folder and change it's permissions, but i always end up screwing that up lol. that's all the advice i have. good luck

Russ77
Old
Thanks Meter 57
here is the process to "push" a system app to your phone.

1. download the ROM or GAPPS that hangouts originally came from to your sdcard or extsdcard if you don't already have it

2. using root explorer or es file explorer, navigate to system/app in the rom or GAPPS zip file and extract hangouts.apk

3. copy or move hangouts.apk into system/app on your phone

4. change permissions to -rw-r--r--

5. reboot and it should work fine

The Following User Says Thank You to Russ77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]