5,716,015 Members 55,624 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Newbie looking for some guidance

Tip us?

cellphoner2006
Old
(Last edited by cellphoner2006; 10th January 2014 at 09:30 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Newbie looking for some guidance

Hello fellow members of XDA,

I am new to this whole thing of rooting and installing custom rom, so I’m kind of overwhelmed. I have done some poking around prior to this post and stumbled upon the Sticky and was wondering if the “[REF] [GUIDE] Welcome to your device, the Galaxy S III - by theexel” is this the standard to what I should be following?

I have a T999 on 4.1.2. I appreciate your time, recommendations, and advice that you have to offer. Thanks!

Update:
I was hoping you could answer some questions I have for Sanranhai's stockMod 4.3. If i followed the instructions while flashing the rom + one of the modems I'm still able to go back to older roms correct? Also if i decided to cmw restore to my backup (4.1.2 image) will the modem be the one I flashed from saranhai's or will it go back to how it originally was before? Thank you for your time.

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3177

DONATE TO ME
Yes that's a Good Guide. What do you intend or trying to do ?

cellphoner2006
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseus71 View Post
Yes that's a Good Guide. What do you intend or trying to do ?
My intention was to root, and to flash a stable rom (hopefully 4.3) for daily use, getting rid of some bloatware to speed up my phone, getting a new feel and look for me phone and increase battery life if possible. I know my model is receiving the official 4.3 but according to this forum most people don't like what Samsung did to it. Since I'm still in the earlier software version, I thought I'd give custom roms' a try.

HoustonsBirdman
Old
(Last edited by HoustonsBirdman; 11th December 2013 at 10:32 PM.)
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellphoner2006 View Post
My intention was to root, and to flash a stable rom (hopefully 4.3) for daily use, getting rid of some bloatware to speed up my phone, getting a new feel and look for me phone and increase battery life if possible. I know my model is receiving the official 4.3 but according to this forum most people don't like what Samsung did to it. Since I'm still in the earlier software version, I thought I'd give custom roms' a try.
If you are looking for a pretty good stable 4.3 ROM I'd recommend Saranhai's StockMOD 4.3 .. I used it as my DD (Daily Driver) the past month but have been on Doc's 4.3 ROM before that (they both use the same Base and Doc had to stop because he Bricked his S3 fiddling around with new things).. .. I wouldn't recommend doing the Official 4.3 Update, many people updated and the problem is you can NOT downgrade firmware afterwards, yes flash other 4.3 Roms but no downgrading.. Also the whole Warranty Bit isn't attractive to people.. ... Last night I flashed CM11 4.4.1 (KitKat) and been using it since then. So far I am very happy with it, everything that I MYSELF use daily hasn't had any flaws. Batter life has been decent also but their have been mixed results.. If you're gonna take the leap into rooting/flashing just remember to always read the OP's instructions as well as make sure its for YOUR device (ie: T999, T999L, etc).. Reading and educating yourself is key!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

cellphoner2006
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonsBirdman View Post
If you are looking for a pretty good stable 4.3 ROM I'd recommend Saranhai's StockMOD 4.3 .. I used it as my DD (Daily Driver) the past month but have been on Doc's 4.3 ROM before that (they both use the same Base and Doc had to stop because he Bricked his S3 fiddling around with new things).. .. I wouldn't recommend doing the Official 4.3 Update, many people updated and the problem is you can NOT downgrade firmware afterwards, yes flash other 4.3 Roms but no downgrading.. Also the whole Warranty Bit isn't attractive to people.. ... Last night I flashed CM11 4.4.1 (KitKat) and been using it since then. So far I am very happy with it, everything that I MYSELF use daily hasn't had any flaws. Batter life has been decent also but their have been mixed results.. If you're gonna take the leap into rooting/flashing just remember to always read the OP's instructions as well as make sure its for YOUR device (ie: T999, T999L, etc).. Reading and educating yourself is key!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app
I'll give rooting a try after I'm done with finals. What sort of things do i need to backup for safety measures as that guide isn't very detailed in that aspect of how to do it and what I WILL WANT to backup.

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3177

DONATE TO ME
You are not at risk of loosing the Data. But if you feel like it, please mae sure your contacts are successfully synced to Google. If there are Games whose progress or score you want to back up then do that. Apart from that the usual pictures and music stuff.

Try My Backup app. It will let you make a backup even if you are not rooted.

anil2653
Old
Thanks Meter 185
Quote:
You are not at risk of loosing the Data. But if you feel like it, please mae sure your contacts are successfully synced to Google. If there are Games whose progress or score you want to back up then do that. Apart from that the usual pictures and music stuff.

Try My Backup app. It will let you make a backup even if you are not rooted.
One more thing you do is to move all your required data like photos etc to your ext sdcard as 4.2 and above version will create a folder 0 where your new data will be available

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
Love XDA

Click Thanks if you like my post.

cellphoner2006
Old
(Last edited by cellphoner2006; 15th December 2013 at 11:18 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
So Im assuming I have to root first before I can install a rom. According to the sticky guide I should be following this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1771687 but, there's a note in bold that said "Do not flash a prior release after flashing this, it has been reported to cause bricks, read the thread for more information." Does that mean after using that latest version to root my t-999 i cant go back to older roms?

The guide also recommend i should start with 4.0.4 roms, should i ignore that?

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3177

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellphoner2006 View Post
So Im assuming I have to root first before I can install a rom. According to the sticky guide I should be following this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1771687 but, there's a note in bold that said "Do not flash a prior release after flashing this, it has been reported to cause bricks, read the thread for more information." Does that mean after using that latest version to root my t-999 i cant go back to older roms?

The guide also recommend i should start with 4.0.4 roms, should i ignore that?
You assume correct. You need to root first. Take the Guide advice. Do not Try to flash latest 4.3 version of Root66. Use the 4.2 version instead. So long you stay completely away from Samsung's release of 4.3, you will do fine.

RebDovid
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
You assume correct. You need to root first. Take the Guide advice. Do not Try to flash latest 4.3 version of Root66. Use the 4.2 version instead. So long you stay completely away from Samsung's release of 4.3, you will do fine.
Why should one stay away from Doc's 4.3 version of Root66?

Does this advice apply equally to saranhai's StockMOD?
Current: Samsung Galaxy SGH-T999 32GB (rooted) (T-Mobile)
ROM: Dandroid 5.2 [4.3 TW] [AOSP KK 4.4 Theme]
Baseband version: T999UVUEMJC
Recovery: TWRP 2.7

Former: Samsung Galaxy Exhibit 4G (RebelRom 3.1Final) (insurance replacement) ; Samsung Vibrant (rooted); Motorola Razr V3; Ericsson T39m; Ericsson T28 World