XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Random Reboots

Tip us?

Kawaisa
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 180
Default [Q] Random Reboots

My Note 3 randomly reboots and a factory restore hadn't solved the issue. There's no bootloop issue, it just reboots a few times a week, sometimes twice a day. Any possible solutions?
Motorola V300 > Sony Ericsson K700i > Panasonic VS3 > Sony Ericsson W850i > HTC G1 > iPhone 2G > Samsung Vibrant > Samsung Galaxy S2 > HTC One S > Samsung Galaxy Note II + LG Nexus 4> Samsung Galaxy S3 > Samsung Note 3

prasanthlt
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaisa View Post
My Note 3 randomly reboots and a factory restore hadn't solved the issue. There's no bootloop issue, it just reboots a few times a week, sometimes twice a day. Any possible solutions?
dont install any apps, except for the essential one, and see if it reboots. Probably it might be an app which is hogging your memory
The Following User Says Thank You to prasanthlt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kawaisa
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanthlt View Post
dont install any apps, except for the essential one, and see if it reboots. Probably it might be an app which is hogging your memory
You're probably right, I had like half the app store installed. I did another hard reset and will see if it happens again. Is there a way to check if there's any specific apps that are memory hogs?

I had this cleaner app that kept asking me to clear my memory because 90%+ of it was being constantly used. I figured 3GB was enough
Motorola V300 > Sony Ericsson K700i > Panasonic VS3 > Sony Ericsson W850i > HTC G1 > iPhone 2G > Samsung Vibrant > Samsung Galaxy S2 > HTC One S > Samsung Galaxy Note II + LG Nexus 4> Samsung Galaxy S3 > Samsung Note 3

djrysk
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaisa View Post
Are you rooted, stock, custom? If your using a stock kernel would you have installed any apps that would require a custom kernel such as android tweaker.
This exact samething happened to me on my rooted stock S3 running a stock kernel. I installed android tweaker pro not realizing I needed to have a custom kernel installed and it caused random reboots 3 or 4 times a day. Flashing back to stock or doing a factory reset would not fix the issue I just ended up sending it back because I wasn't sure what the issue was then realized it was Android tweaker that caused the random reboots.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Kawaisa
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrysk View Post
Are you rooted, stock, custom? If your using a stock kernel would you have installed any apps that would require a custom kernel such as android tweaker.
This exact samething happened to me on my rooted stock S3 running a stock kernel. I installed android tweaker pro not realizing I needed to have a custom kernel installed and it caused random reboots 3 or 4 times a day. Flashing back to stock or doing a factory reset would not fix the issue I just ended up sending it back because I wasn't sure what the issue was then realized it was Android tweaker that caused the random reboots.

Running stock everything

no android tweaker installed

crazy42long
Old
Thanks Meter 1
My note did this for a bit when I unlocked it. Called tmobile they told me it was a Gmail issue. So go. Into settings/apps disable Gmail reboot then re-enable it. It's something with how Samsung integrated it into the system.

The Following User Says Thank You to crazy42long For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mremslie
Old
Thanks Meter 21
I am currently running*DARTHSTALKER*v5*and Compulsion Ultimate v6. *I have been running Jovys roms and kernels for a few months already and absolutely love it. *Just recently (about a week ago) I decided to go into Trickster Mod and try overclocking it. *The phone runs fine for a while but all of a sudden out of nowhere when it is just sitting on idle it will reboot. *At least once or twice a day. *I only know this because I will wake up in the morning and I see the notification that Trickster Mod set on boot was successful. *The last 2 times it happened, I received an Exchange mail and it looks like when these emails came in, it woke the device and then it rebooted. *I installed "CatLog" from the play store to see what the logs are saying and I see about 8 of these messages around the time of the reboot:*

296 ThermalEngine E Threshold 0 Action [0] : shutdown

I know the phone is not overheating when this happens. *I am wondering if the kernel has an issue with the Intelli-Thermal Controls or something. *I did enable that and set the thresholds to 95 and 100. *If that is Celsius or Fahrenheit I do not know since it is just a number value in trickster. *I was on Darthstalker v3 a couple days ago when this started happening and I thought upgrading to v5 would fix it but to no avail. *Does anybody have any thoughts or seen this issue?

I am going to try to overclock it again to the full 2.6 GHz (2649600) but this time turn off Intelli-Thermal and see if I still get this issue. *I am hoping I don't have a faulty device. *I never had a problem until I changed the max frequency from 2265600 to anything higher. *With the device not overclocked and with Intelli-Thermal enabled I do not get this problem; only when I introduce the slightest overclock into the mix.

Changed in trickster are as follows: (everything else is stock)
--Scheduler = sio
--Governor = ondemand (I think this was stock but just in case it wasnt)
--Max Frequency = 2649600
--MP-Decision = OFF
--Intelli-Plug = ON
--Intelli-Thermal Control = ON (freq throttle = 95, core offline = 100)

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app

Kawaisa
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 180
so it happened again today, noticed that I have about 1GB of free ram at start up, not sure if that's normal