5,598,086 Members 42,122 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can I Root And Then Reset The Reader...

Tip us?

onlycash
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Can I Root And Then Reset The Reader...

Can I root the Simple Touch and get it setup for my friend and then deliver it to him freshly reset and ready for him?

I guess I'm really asking do you need to set up the Nook first before you can root ect.?

I'm asking because I've been tasked with setting up a Nook, root install books ect, for someone who will then give it as a gift.

Will it still be possible for them to set it up with there B&N account ect after I root it or will we need to wait for them to log in for the first time before I can root it?

David0226
Old
(Last edited by David0226; 12th December 2013 at 12:45 PM.) Reason: adding more info.
Thanks Meter 11
One of the more experienced people can correct me if I am wrong, but I think you should be able to do this using Nook Manager. You would have to prepare the SD card (make sure it is at least 2GB) before ever turning on the Nook. Insert the SD card and power on the Nook (perhaps while attaching the charger at the same time). Unless I miss my guess, it will boot from the SD card and you can then follow the Nook Manager prompts to first backup and then root the Nook. I believe this procedure would allow you to root the Nook without ever registering it.

If this does not work, there is a way to boot the Nook without registering it. I don't have the link to this at the moment but you should be able to find the procedure with a simple internet search.

If you do this, it is likely the end user will have to run registration app manually as after it is rooted, it probably will not run automatically.

12-12-2013 edit:
Here is the link to how to boot a NST or NSTG without registering it. nook touch skip registration