5,600,984 Members 44,316 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Best/easiest way to transfer from Note2 to 3?

Tip us?

texasez
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default [Q] Best/easiest way to transfer from Note2 to 3?

I am getting my new Note 3 today and now have a rooted note 2. I have titanium backup on the note 2. I have heard horror stories in the past about using TBU to restore apps from two different phones. Is there a way to transfer apps as well as data from the 2 to the 3. Can i use the same micro card without formatting? What about wifi passwords?
Thanks

mistertek
Old
(Last edited by mistertek; 11th December 2013 at 04:27 PM.)
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasez View Post
I am getting my new Note 3 today and now have a rooted note 2. I have titanium backup on the note 2. I have heard horror stories in the past about using TBU to restore apps from two different phones. Is there a way to transfer apps as well as data from the 2 to the 3. Can i use the same micro card without formatting? What about wifi passwords?
Thanks
First, to answer your questions.. 1. Yes, you can just move your SD card (I've done this many times). 2. Make sure you have set everything to "sync" in your google account on your phone and then the wifi passwords should restore. It's always worked for me.

I've had great luck using Helium. Pay for it to make it easier.

Using Helium, You can backup all of your apps (and data) to SD card and/or Google drive and Dropbox. SDcard is much faster of course. I always create both SD and Google Drive backups just in case.

You can just back up the apps, put the card in the new phone. If your phone hasn't been activated or booted yet, do that and let all of the apps reinstall. Sometimes they don't reinstall automatically (from Google). I then open Helium on the new phone and click restore. Then you can just restore each app and data.

The one thing with Helium is that if the app isn't installed, it will be a couple of clicks to get it reinstalled so it's not quite as slick as Titanium but I've had far better luck with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to mistertek For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

texasez
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistertek View Post
First, to answer your questions.. 1. Yes, you can just move your SD card (I've done this many times). 2. Make sure you have set everything to "sync" in your google account on your phone and then the wifi passwords should restore. It's always worked for me.

I've had great luck using Helium. Pay for it to make it easier.

Using Helium, You can backup all of your apps (and data) to SD card and/or Google drive and Dropbox. SDcard is much faster of course. I always create both SD and Google Drive backups just in case.

You can just back up the apps, put the card in the new phone. If your phone hasn't been activated or booted yet, do that and let all of the apps reinstall. Sometimes they don't reinstall automatically (from Google). I then open Helium on the new phone and click restore. Then you can just restore each app and data.

The one thing with Helium is that if the app isn't installed, it will be a couple of clicks to get it reinstalled so it's not quite as slick as Titanium but I've had far better luck with it.
Thanks, I will give it a try.