XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Phone stopped automatically mounting externalSD Card

Tip us?

randomjoe404
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Phone stopped automatically mounting externalSD Card

Hey guys, I have a weird issues with my external SD card.

After I upgraded from Shostock to ShoStock 3 4.0, my phone stopped automatically mounting my SD card at book. I have to wait for boot and rush to my setting so I can hit "Mount SD" every single time my phone starts so that way the apps that depend on the externalSD won't get screwed up.

It's getting really annoying, and I've scoured the internet for answers, but I haven't found anything yet. Most people are looking for ways to swap their internal/external cards or mount it to their computer when they plug it in to their USB.

I already tried wiping it and reformatting it; didn't help.

Any ideas on how to solve this issue and get it to automatically mount at boot? I can add/modify scripts if that's what it takes.

Thanks in advance!

creepyncrawly
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2659

DONATE TO ME
It sounds like a bad flash. Did you wipe everything before you upgraded SHOstock3 to 4.0? I'm guessing that a clean reinstall of the firmware and kernel would solve the issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to creepyncrawly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

randomjoe404
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepyncrawly View Post
It sounds like a bad flash. Did you wipe everything before you upgraded SHOstock3 to 4.0? I'm guessing that a clean reinstall of the firmware and kernel would solve the issue.
Yeah, I did a clean wipe and reset before flashing SHOstock3. It actually originally started happening when I upgraded from the old SHOstock to SHOstock3, but it seems like no one else had this issue.

Do you think it would help if I just reflashed without wiping? I already did a clean wipe and reset before flashing.

creepyncrawly
Old
(Last edited by creepyncrawly; 11th December 2013 at 04:51 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2659

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomjoe404 View Post
Do you think it would help if I just reflashed without wiping? I already did a clean wipe and reset before flashing.
If the problem is due to a bad flash, doing a dirty re-flash (without wiping) will not fix the problem. I'm not certain that a bad flash is the issue, but troubleshooting methods would say to flash back to stock and see if the problem persists. You would have to do a full wipe and clean install of stock to be sure. I'm suggesting that you try re-flashing SHOstock3 first, and then if that doesn't correct the problem, try flashing back to stock.

Edit: But I think you are saying that the problem has already persisted through a clean re-installation of the firmware? Then the problem must be something else than a bad flash. Still, flashing stock would be the next troubleshooting step.
The Following User Says Thank You to creepyncrawly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

randomjoe404
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
If the problem is due to a bad flash, doing a dirty re-flash (without wiping) will not fix the problem. I'm not certain that a bad flash is the issue, but troubleshooting methods would say to flash back to stock and see if the problem persists. You would have to do a full wipe and clean install of stock to be sure. I'm suggesting that you try re-flashing SHOstock3 first, and then if that doesn't correct the problem, try flashing back to stock.

Edit: But I think you are saying that the problem has already persisted through a clean re-installation of the firmware? Then the problem must be something else than a bad flash. Still, flashing stock would be the next troubleshooting step.
Unfortunately due to my work I can't afford to miss another day/night without my phone for a while

I was hoping there would be some script or modification I could make to force it to mount the externalSD at boot. But I guess it's already supposed to do that?

Maybe my fstab or whatever is bad?

creepyncrawly
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2659

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomjoe404 View Post
Unfortunately due to my work I can't afford to miss another day/night without my phone for a while

I was hoping there would be some script or modification I could make to force it to mount the externalSD at boot. But I guess it's already supposed to do that?

Maybe my fstab or whatever is bad?
I don't really know the hardware, or even the internals of the firmware, well enough to answer. I guess you'll have to keep mounting it manually until you have time to do some trouble shooting. You don't have to reboot that often though, do you? I sometimes go weeks between reboots.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to creepyncrawly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

randomjoe404
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
I don't really know the hardware, or even the internals of the firmware, well enough to answer. I guess you'll have to keep mounting it manually until you have time to do some trouble shooting. You don't have to reboot that often though, do you? I sometimes go weeks between reboots.
I have to reboot every day, which really sucks.