XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Stuck at 4.1.1, Can't update to 4.1.2 or 4.3, please help

Tip us?

jack man
Old
Thanks Meter 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
have you ever tried Helium? I was planning to use that for backup of my apps data.

last time I recovered/flashed phone was with Windows Mobile... so yeah really behind with all of this.

So if I first use helium for backup and then do factory reset, then flash the stock 4.1.1.
I know google account has all my contacts and calendar.
After I have the stock 4.1.1 back I should be able to update to 4.3 and from there restore the backup?
Never used Helium. I have use Titanium Backup before. It's widely used for backing up app data. You can get it in the Play Store. Make sure you don't try to restore system data - it will cause all kinds of trouble. I don't usually restore app data anymore - well, now that I'm on stock I can't, anyway. I always had some kind of issue, whether it be small or big, when I restored data. who knows, maybe I wasn't doing it exactly right.

I'm not sure if restoring apps from 4.1.1 to a 4.3 base would be safe or not. remember, if you try, that means you'll have to root the 4.3 and that will trip your warranty bit count off of zero, so if you're concerned about warranty, you shouldn't root. (if you upgrade to 4.3 stock, you can go to download mode and see that they now have included two flash counts: one to count custom binaries (that can be reset) and the other one called warranty bit, that no one here knows how to reset yet.)
Jack Man

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 i747
Current Rom: Stock 4.3

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 i777
Current ROM: ShoStock3 Jelly Bean by Shoman94

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S i897
Current ROM: Stock GB (given to my Dad)
-----------------------
Barnes and Noble Nook HD+ (Stock; all of my flashing is done on my phones.)

nekrosoft13
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
according to Helium, it doesn't require root. I will make a backup just in case, just want my angry birds progress...

still at work, so I can't download the file (yet), so how exactly does this work, since it says you don't need odin?

jack man
Old
Thanks Meter 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
according to Helium, it doesn't require root. I will make a backup just in case, just want my angry birds progress...

still at work, so I can't download the file (yet), so how exactly does this work, since it says you don't need odin?
After you download it, make sure it's on your internal sd card in the phone. Boot into ClockWorkMod recovery, wipe data/factory reset, clear cache, clear dalvic from the advanced menu, then flash the zip. that's it. near the end of the flash it will ask you if you want to keep root. i chose no since I knew I was going to be update to the official release. I've heard of people having problems trying to update OTA with root.

Just make sure that updating to 4.3 is what you want because it will limit what you can do with the device after you have the new bootloaders.
Jack Man

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 i747
Current Rom: Stock 4.3

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 i777
Current ROM: ShoStock3 Jelly Bean by Shoman94

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S i897
Current ROM: Stock GB (given to my Dad)
-----------------------
Barnes and Noble Nook HD+ (Stock; all of my flashing is done on my phones.)