5,594,077 Members 46,621 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Just reverted to stock, safe to S-ON?

Tip us?

Ali812
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Default [Q] Just reverted to stock, safe to S-ON?

So my phone was S-OFF, superCID, custom firmware, running ARHD with TWRP recovery. I carried out the procedure to revert to 100% stock, I have a Rogers HTC One but a Rogers RUU doesn't exist, however I was able to get OTA updates after reverting to stock so I'm assuming the hboot, bootloader, recovery, stock ROM are all Rogers based.

However, when reverting to stock, I used an AT&T RUU to go down to 1.26 firmware and then Rogers OTA updates took me from 1.26 to 1.29 to finally 3.22 firmware. Everything at this point is stock and hopefully Rogers based, only modification that remains is S-OFF.

I need to S-ON for warranty purposes, I know how to S-ON, but I was wondering if it safe to S-ON considering I used a non-Rogers RUU to downgrade in the first place. I read somewhere that if I try to S-ON after using RUU that isn't the same as my carrier I will brick my phone, which is something I don't want to do. So is it safe to S-ON or am I at risk of bricking my phone?

My bootloader is locked, no tampered flag, hboot 1.55, CID is no longer superCID but ROGER001 (specific to my carrier)

zeushacker
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up Your good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali812 View Post
So my phone was S-OFF, superCID, custom firmware, running ARHD with TWRP recovery. I carried out the procedure to revert to 100% stock, I have a Rogers HTC One but a Rogers RUU doesn't exist, however I was able to get OTA updates after reverting to stock so I'm assuming the hboot, bootloader, recovery, stock ROM are all Rogers based.

However, when reverting to stock, I used an AT&T RUU to go down to 1.26 firmware and then Rogers OTA updates took me from 1.26 to 1.29 to finally 3.22 firmware. Everything at this point is stock and hopefully Rogers based, only modification that remains is S-OFF.

I need to S-ON for warranty purposes, I know how to S-ON, but I was wondering if it safe to S-ON considering I used a non-Rogers RUU to downgrade in the first place. I read somewhere that if I try to S-ON after using RUU that isn't the same as my carrier I will brick my phone, which is something I don't want to do. So is it safe to S-ON or am I at risk of bricking my phone?

My bootloader is locked, no tampered flag, hboot 1.55, CID is no longer superCID but ROGER001 (specific to my carrier)
If you have changed your CID back to your carrier specific code you should be OK.

However, with the 4.4 update, there have been a few issues with the Bootloader not unlocking again, if you are sending your phone back under warranty for repair or replacement then your good to S-On, if you just want to set S-on for the hell of it (like me) I would hold fire for now.
Its will be your only remaining access to unlock the phone in one way or another.

nkk71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali812 View Post
I read somewhere that if I try to S-ON after using RUU that isn't the same as my carrier I will brick my phone, which is something I don't want to do. So is it safe to S-ON or am I at risk of bricking my phone?
Like I said, no bricks involved, but read below too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeushacker View Post
if you are sending your phone back under warranty for repair or replacement then your good to S-On
if he tries to go s-off to s-on on hboot 1.55, then there is a high probability, that after a few reboots "tamper detected - rebooting" -> and the TAMPERED sign is back.

I wrote the guide in a specific order 1, then 2, then 3, etc, because of that reason.

If the OP wants to give it a shot, he can go ahead, maybe the "tamper detected" won't happen; if it does, he will have to s-off using rumrunner, and start the procedure again.

criszz
Old
Thanks Meter 190

DONATE TO ME
s-on is not needed on waranty, there are always some devices shiped from factory with s-off. my advice is to keep s-off.

Silver hTc One 802w Dual Sim 32 Gb + 64 Gb SdCard
S-Off ; Rooted ; SuperCID; Tommy KitKat ROM ( pm for that ); TWRP

Past Smartphone's:

Galaxy S4 i9500
HTC Sensation XE
hTC HD2
hTC Diamond II
hTC Diamond
Gigabyte GSmart i120