5,605,685 Members 48,281 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] blocking the OTA KNOX 4.3 update ( i.e. never ever want KNOX)

Tip us?

chlor3
Old
(Last edited by chlor3; 10th December 2013 at 06:55 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Default [Q] blocking the OTA KNOX 4.3 update ( i.e. never ever want KNOX)

What are my options for blocking the OTA update?
I need to make sure I don't wake up one morning and find my phone updated with KNOX. I read that it can be automatically installed on stock roms, even without user consent. I have CWM recovery and rooted at ver.4.2.2 and have frozen the following apps using Ti Backup:

FWUpgrade 1.2.0
LocalFOTA v2
Software update

Is there anything else I should be doing to prevent this update?

Also would flashing one of the custom roms based on TouchWiz 4.3 flash the KNOX boot-loader?

Seriously if this post sale bait and switch boot-loader lock-down cannot be averted this will, in all likelihood, be my last Samsung device. I could understand if my employer wanted a KNOX supported device on his network and I consented to allowing this to happen to my phone for the privilege of using my phone for my job, but forcing KNOX on us after the sale is down right criminal.

Edit (2013-12-10): This thread further describes how to prevent KNOX:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2560015

-chlor3

xdapowerapps
Old
Thanks Meter 190
Flashing 4.3/4.4 roms through recovery will not upgrade your bootloader. Feel free to flash!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

< - - - - - Please hit the button if I helped.

Unlocked TMO SGS4, SGH-M919, WarpDrive KK 4.4.2, Ktoonsez Kernel, PhilZ Touch Recovery.

HUGE THANKS TO rovo89 FOR HIS XPOSED FRAMEWORK. List of Xposed Modules
The Following User Says Thank You to xdapowerapps For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

The Root
Old
Thanks Meter 1739
So what device do you plan to go to wit this level hardware? Our devs almost always figure it out.
Before blaming the dev consider that it might have been you. They probably know more and make fewer mistakes.

SGS4
Insane Kit Kat

viskon
Old
Thanks Meter 38
The bootloader is not locked down. You can still flash roms after the update.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4

chlor3
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Root View Post
So what device do you plan to go to wit this level hardware? Our devs almost always figure it out.
Today at this hardware level there is just the s4 and nexus 5, but no external sd card slot make the nexus a total non-starter. So yes today I am a bit stuck with Sammy... but if they keep taking steps toward making their products like the iSandbox line, I would hope an enterprising company would produce a product that (re-) enpowered the user.

Rant:
It's not just the knox fisasco... having bluetooth tether yanked really pissed me off. Guess who has bluetooth tether on stock.... verizon ( but I really loath what they have done to all their devices bootloaders... so much so that I returned both my black friday verizon 32gb s4's for a pair of 16gb tmobile's ) Don't even talk about mobile hotspot... I get almost twice the battery life using bluetooth tether.

chlor3
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by viskon View Post
The bootloader is not locked down. You can still flash roms after the update.

So I can flash cwm/twrp on a s4 that has been ota updated to stock 4.3 (KNOX)?

viskon
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlor3 View Post
So I can flash cwm/twrp on a s4 that has been ota updated to stock 4.3 (KNOX)?
That is indeed my understanding. The only thing that's changed with the new bootloader is that when you flash a rom, it trips the Knox counter and invalidates your warranty. If you don't care about warranty, you can root it, install a custom recovery and keep flashing roms as before.

I myself am on stock 4.3 and have no intention to mod my device just yet. So you might want to get a few more opinions before you take the plunge.

The Following User Says Thank You to viskon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chlor3
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by viskon View Post
That is indeed my understanding. The only thing that's changed with the new bootloader is that when you flash a rom, it trips the Knox counter and invalidates your warranty. If you don't care about warranty, you can root it, install a custom recovery and keep flashing roms as before.

I myself am on stock 4.3 and have no intention to mod my device just yet. So you might want to get a few more opinions before you take the plunge.

There is also the issue of not being able to downgrade your modem as discussed here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2558847

I've read that the new modem doesn't play nice with the old roms. As I understand the state of things currently once you upgrade one can't downgrade? ( not in any attempt to remove KNOX flag, but just to be able to use the pre 4.3 roms ).

viskon
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlor3 View Post
There is also the issue of not being able to downgrade your modem as discussed here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2558847

I've read that the new modem doesn't play nice with the old roms. As I understand the state of things currently once you upgrade one can't downgrade? ( not in any attempt to remove KNOX flag, but just to be able to use the pre 4.3 roms ).
The new modems are incompatible with the old MDL bootloader. Your should be fine if you are on the new MK2 bootloader .

ronin4740
Old
Thanks Meter 64
I'm on Ota (kies) 4.3 with cwm custom recovery and rooted via cf-autoroot. Knox is part of the rom but isn't installed - you have to run the app and let it install.

So far no issues other than the allsharecast dongle not working. This is probably because triangle away doesn't work right in 4.3

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Tmobile Galaxy S IV.

The Following User Says Thank You to ronin4740 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
knox, ota