XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] can I install ClockworkMod Recovery from sd card

Tip us?

lotus02
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Question [Q] can I install ClockworkMod Recovery from sd card

can I install ClockworkMod Recovery from sd card?
and can the phone be rooted with out the usb port working?
I want to update to 4.1.2 or 4.2.2.
the phone is unlocked
4.0.4 on it now

my phone has a bad usb port waiting for new one to come in, I have read that sometimes after installing the new port there could be a loss of signal, I a battery charger and a spare battery so if that happens then I will have to put the old one back in.
I'm new to all this sorry if this has been asked before I could not find the info

440bro
Old
Thanks Meter 276

DONATE TO ME
If you have a custom recovery installed already, yes cwm can be installed from the sdcard. If you only have the stock recovery, you must use a pc with the usb.

Looks like you'll have to wait till you get a new usb port to install a custom recovery and root. Once you have the custom recovery installed, you'll no longer need usb. So if your new port has signal issues you can swap back and still be able to flash!
The Following User Says Thank You to 440bro For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lotus02
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440bro View Post
If you have a custom recovery installed already, yes cwm can be installed from the sdcard. If you only have the stock recovery, you must use a pc with the usb.

Looks like you'll have to wait till you get a new usb port to install a custom recovery and root. Once you have the custom recovery installed, you'll no longer need usb. So if your new port has signal issues you can swap back and still be able to flash!
I bought it used how can i till if I have a custom recovery installed already on it
The Following User Says Thank You to lotus02 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

captemo
Old
(Last edited by captemo; 7th December 2013 at 01:53 AM.)
Thanks Meter 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus02 View Post
I bought it used how can i till if I have a custom recovery installed already on it
Press and hold volume up/down and power together til Samsung logo, then let go power only. Recovery should pop up.

By the way, you can run a search or look in Super Everything thread and find all your answers.

Read, read, read
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda app-developers app
CAPT. EMO Senior Member
Samsung Infuse i997.......retired
Samsung Galaxy Note i717.......semi retired
Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 i527.......active duty

Bubbajoe40356
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 4389

DONATE TO ME
And try and follow the rules about double posting. You asked the exact same thing in the stupid question thread and started a new thread at about the same time.

Sent from my Big Ass Outlaw Phone.

"If you got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow" ...
John Wayne

My Theme Chooser Themes
^ Click That
Best post EVER
< Click that
The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbajoe40356 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lotus02
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajoe40356 View Post
And try and follow the rules about double posting. You asked the exact same thing in the stupid question thread and started a new thread at about the same time.

sorry for the double posting I did not know if put the first post in the right spot.

Bubbajoe40356
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 4389

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
sorry for the double posting I did not know if put the first post in the right spot.
It's no problem. Just helping you learn. Some have a tendency to post over and over the same issue.
Welcome to the forums.

"If you got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow" ...
John Wayne

My Theme Chooser Themes
^ Click That
Best post EVER
< Click that

lotus02
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Question can any one point me to 4.2.2. for telus I717

I got the new USB port in and no sound but I can load and the charger works on it new port on its way,

can any one point me to 4.2.2. for Telus I717 that is stock or almost stock ?
there is a pull down switch at the top for data on-off that I have only seen in the 4.2.2 that I would like to have.

I would like to get this phone up and running to see if it works right before I try any thing with to much modding in it that way I will know if the phone is any good.

I have looked in the super every thing and I see a lot of modded ones but I must be missing the Stock one.
I loaded 4.1.2 and the phone is working

Agoattamer
Old
Thanks Meter 483
Quote:
I got the new USB port in and no sound but I can load and the charger works on it new port on its way,

can any one point me to 4.2.2. for Telus I717 that is stock or almost stock ?
there is a pull down switch at the top for data on-off that I have only seen in the 4.2.2 that I would like to have.

I would like to get this phone up and running to see if it works right before I try any thing with to much modding in it that way I will know if the phone is any good.

I have looked in the super every thing and I see a lot of modded ones but I must be missing the Stock one.
I loaded 4.1.2 and the phone is working
4.1.2 was the last stock version released for the I717. There is no 4.2.2 stock version.
Samsung I717R Note
I717RUXMD1 Rogers Deodexed Stock JB ROM

Samsung I497 10.1 Tab2
I497UCBMF2 stock JB

HTC HD2 T9193
Winmo 6.5 Energy.Leo.29022.Sense2.5.Jul.04
2.12.50.02_2 RADIO