5,594,221 Members 45,735 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

can some one here help me

Tip us?

mrej201
Old
(Last edited by mrej201; 11th December 2013 at 09:30 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 65
Default can some one here help me

help guys i think we should make a petition to stop carrier bloatware i need help, idk how to make one

Since smartphones need to run as efficiently as possible in a small memory space, the issue of Bloatware has become more of an issue. Is anyone doing anything about it?

What is Bloatware
The term Bloatware is used in many ways. As used here it refers to the inclusion of software into a device (smartphone, pad, PC, Smart TV, …) that the user did not request, cannot be used without extra fees or privacy compromises, cannot be removed, and that use up storage and/or processing resources. Not sure, but this may be primarily an American consumer issue. The EU may have more laws regarding this.

Why Bloatware
Lets give the manufactures and sellers some slack and say that they have perfectly good reasons for the use of Bloatware. There must be some remuneration involved, and this ultimately brings down the final price the user pays. There are also various non-directly financial reasons, like Zawinski’s law of software envelopment. Thus, we have systems with eye-tracking that can’t see, gesture recognition that ignores, and bells and whistles that only hum.

Removing Bloatware
If you search, you’ll find many sites giving info on how to remove this software. Unfortunately, these approaches are not very practical. Only a small subset of users would wipe a PC or install a custom ROM in their smartphone by Rooting to get rid of junk. In fact, I’m sure many consumers don’t really have a concept of Bloatware. Regarding rooting a phone, see The Pros and Cons of Rooting Your Phone.

Issues with Bloatware

They take up space. One article says up to 45% on some devices
Sometimes cannot be removed or disabled
May be trialware
Could be compromised since will not be updated by user
May be secretly active
May be sending usage and other information
Can pull in unwanted supporting libraries or programs
A source of advertising
Are just fronts for paid services, sometimes with free trial periods
Unused and unwanted
Adware and Snoopware
This situation is even worse than it appears. Two other issues are making things even worse: Adware and Snoopware. Adware is also running amok in the industry. Everything and anything is a vector for targeted ads and upselling. This adware also takes up bandwidth and processing resources. The other, Snoopware, is the bandwidth being used to invade privacy and security. This is being done by the large social media and search giants but also by the small players. Snoopware is also used by the law enforcement agencies and is also a bandwidth and processing drain.

Thus, Bloatware, Adware, Snoopware, are reducing the frictionless use of what we are paying for.

Apple and Bloatware
Not being a fan boy, I’m not up on the Apple side of the house. Since Apple products are in a sense a ‘walled garden’, one could say they are the bloat. The premium pricing is payment for not getting other people’s bloat.

What could be done

Make this a more visible issue
Start a petition to make Bloatware illegal
Disclosure: System vendors must supply a truth in packaging document listing the Bloatware. They don’t have to use the term “Bloatware”, just list which software or devices are ‘extras’ supplied by 3rd parties and are not required to use the system. And, what are the true costs of using these extras. This will info so concerned consumers can make a better buying decision. Of course, this will do nothing; who reads the EULA?
A default opt-out of the use of any Bloatware must be in effect. This is critical if said software will eventually require a fee for its use. Navigation and communication apps are a prime example.
Models of the system must be made available that have no extras installed.
Must provide ability to not only disable but also remove any Bloatware.
Congressional bills (or whatever in your country) to put some rational guidelines on this. (yes, rational and politics are contradictory).
Boycott devices that contain Bloatware
Create a non-carrier carrier
Bypass commercial carriers using a dynamically allocated peer mesh network
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-allen View Post
Amazing how a a handfull of Devs on here can accomplish more in a weekend then a multiBillion Dollar company can in 6 months.

mrej201
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 65
really guys no one want to stop bloatware
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-allen View Post
Amazing how a a handfull of Devs on here can accomplish more in a weekend then a multiBillion Dollar company can in 6 months.

onelostmind
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
I'll sign your petition! Although all my stuff is rooted already because of things like bloatware, it really makes sense for those who want to free up that space for more useful things!

Sent from my XT897 using xda app-developers app

droidfan1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Bloatware sucks!