XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Flashing firmware question

Tip us?

akg
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Flashing firmware question

I flashed my Galaxy S duos firmware. While the built name has changed the baseband stays the same. Is this supposed to be like that? I thought the baseband would have changed as well?

demkantor
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2341
It depends what firmware you changed as firmware is a broad term, sounds as if you didn't flash a different baseband/radio or at least the flash didn't take

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

akg
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I just know the basic stuff when it comes to flashing and stuff. The firmware indicates the PDA CSC and modem no. I might be wrong, but the modem is the baseband also right?

demkantor
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2341
Yes modem/radio/baseband are all for the most part interchangeable terms
Firmware can be a lot of things, bootloaders, radios, etc some even refer to the recovery as firmware
I assumed you used Odin or heimdall to flash your firmware, did you get any errors or can you confirm the modem you flashed is different than the one you have already?

akg
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
This is whats shown about the firmware. I took it from SAM mobile.

PDA: S7562XXALJ4
CSC: S7562OLBALH5
Modem: S7562DXLJ3

I would think the baseband would also have changed after the flash. Originally I used an older version of ODIN. 1.83. Right near the end it prompted FAIL and I had to end it and manually rebooted my phone. It still can boot up. Then I downloaded ver 3.07 and it went well til the end. "PASS" and "RESET". Not sure if this is the cause but I doubt so.

demkantor
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2341
Could be, can't say if I'm not there though
Maybe try hiemdall, I don't use Odin as there's no Linux support (at least there used to not be haven't looked in a long time) and manually choose the individual pieces of firmware to flash, you can use the ui if needed as well so it will feel like Odin. If you change modems you should see the change on the phone and a conformation in hiemdal

akg
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
In the beginning stage.. I tried Heimdall but was as confused as ODIN before I finally figured out how to flash using ODIN. I thought it would be the same for both.. but I will try Heimdall again.