XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Recovery Recommendation

Tip us?

madgalaxy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default [Q] Recovery Recommendation

I currently have a rooted E980 on stock ROM/Recovery.

My goal is:

1) Install CM 10.2 (and CM11 once stable)
2) Be able to back up ROMs (i.e. nandroid) - If I have a problem I would like to restore via a nandroid.
3) If all goes well, maybe try other ROMs (Carbon, Slim, etc) - Although I am not a flash addict.

I have experience with CWM and TWRP with other devices (Nexus, HTC), but it seems to be a bit different with the LG E980. I hear about Loki, Lokified, soft-bricks, boot loops, etc.

Should I use Freegee, TWRP 2.6.3 or PhilZ Touch? Any recommendations would be appreciated!

thathamiam
Old
Thanks Meter 20
I have used the CWM 6.0.3.7 that came from Freegee to flash/backup/restore probably 20 ROMs with no issues. I know some people have had issues with it and prefer @madmack's hacked TWRP. I haven't had any though, so I have yet to jump ship. 2 cents.

Sent from my Optimus G Pro using Tapatalk
e980 - i'd tell you which ROM, but then i'd have to update my signature thrice daily.

deadenz
Old
Thanks Meter 74

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by thathamiam View Post
I have used the CWM 6.0.3.7 that came from Freegee to flash/backup/restore probably 20 ROMs with no issues. I know some people have had issues with it and prefer @madmack's hacked TWRP. I haven't had any though, so I have yet to jump ship. 2 cents.

Sent from my Optimus G Pro using Tapatalk
same experience with freegee, no problems. the only issue I seem to have on some roms is that gps doesn't work and I have no idea why. and from what I hear you can't flash modems with cwm so I'm not sure if that's the problem or not.. everything else works perfect.
LG G FLEX

madgalaxy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Thanks for the recommendations. Anyone used PhilZ Touch?

madgalaxy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Ok, I used FreeGee to bypass security and installed TWRP 2.6.3.0. Boots into recovery fine, BUT it will not see my SD card and I tried two different ones. Normal boot shows the cards just fine. Trying to get CM 10.2 flashed.

Any ides???

mrfeuss
Old
Thanks Meter 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgalaxy View Post
Ok, I used FreeGee to bypass security and installed TWRP 2.6.3.0. Boots into recovery fine, BUT it will not see my SD card and I tried two different ones. Normal boot shows the cards just fine. Trying to get CM 10.2 flashed.

Any ides???
Your cards are most likely in EX-Fat format. EX-Fat is a proprietary file system that is licensed my Microsoft. Since TWRP doesn't license it they can't (legally) include support in their recovery. You're going to have to copy everything over to your computer, reformat the card and transfer everything back. Otherwise you can look to see if there are any recoveries for the G Pro with EX-Fat support.

madgalaxy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeuss View Post
Your cards are most likely in EX-Fat format. EX-Fat is a proprietary file system that is licensed my Microsoft. Since TWRP doesn't license it they can't (legally) include support in their recovery. You're going to have to copy everything over to your computer, reformat the card and transfer everything back. Otherwise you can look to see if there are any recoveries for the G Pro with EX-Fat support.
That is a negative, my cards in FAT format but for the heck of it I did a full format and still no dice. I even tried to use FreeGee and flash CWM, but TWRP still boots as the recovery.

Any other ideas?

madgalaxy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
That is a negative, my cards in FAT format but for the heck of it I did a full format and still no dice. I even tried to use FreeGee and flash CWM, but TWRP still boots as the recovery.

Any other ideas?
Solved. I tried another install of CWM via FreeGee and it took. CWM is recognizing the sd card!

vivebatu
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Solved. I tried another install of CWM via FreeGee and it took. CWM is recognizing the sd card!
Just checkin....did you use the latest version of free gee from the play store?

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Premium HD app