5,595,428 Members 47,593 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

MicroSD card help

Tip us?

zerogood
Old
(Last edited by zerogood; 12th December 2013 at 03:02 AM.) Reason: incorrect read and write speeds.
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default MicroSD card help

Hi everyone,
I have a 64gb sandisk microsd external card, in a att galaxy s3 and it appears to be acting very strange.
i can't add or delete anything from it, i put it in my brothers galaxy s2 to format it (my s3 not having the option(which is strange)) and it let me format it, but when it remounts its at the exact same place, with 42.2gb free storage space, which is what it was at before i formatted it, i did it a few times same thing.
if i manually try to delete things from the card through my phone or computer they either hang or they do delete then upon reboot all the files are back. I hope its not corrupted but it sounds like it is. i've used a few apps like sd tools which runs speed tests, and i get about 130mb write speed a second and 5000mb read speed a second which sounds like it should be able to read and write things but unfortunately it just won't
any help would be greatly appreciated.

xXshur1kenXx
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerogood View Post
Hi everyone,
I have a 64gb sandisk microsd external card, in a att galaxy s3 and it appears to be acting very strange.
i can't add or delete anything from it, i put it in my brothers galaxy s2 to format it (my s3 not having the option(which is strange)) and it let me format it, but when it remounts its at the exact same place, with 42.2gb free storage space, which is what it was at before i formatted it, i did it a few times same thing.
if i manually try to delete things from the card through my phone or computer they either hang or they do delete then upon reboot all the files are back. I hope its not corrupted but it sounds like it is. i've used a few apps like sd tools which runs speed tests, and i get about 130mb write speed a second and 5000mb read speed a second which sounds like it should be able to read and write things but unfortunately it just won't
any help would be greatly appreciated.
Take the SD card and use a custom recovery to wipe it clean. That might help

zerogood
Old
(Last edited by zerogood; 12th December 2013 at 03:42 PM.) Reason: partial progress update
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXshur1kenXx View Post
Take the SD card and use a custom recovery to wipe it clean. That might help
Okay, i used twrp, i'm updated to latest version, i went to wipe advanced, then microsd card says succesfull but its very short. when i reboot the storage is still the same. can't add or remove files still.

xXshur1kenXx
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerogood View Post
Okay, i used twrp, i'm updated to latest version, i went to wipe advanced, then microsd card says succesfull but its very short. when i reboot the storage is still the same. can't add or remove files still.
Hmm. You might have to try a double format in TWRP, then when you load up the System use the system's format tool. (i.e. Storage --> Wipe SD Card). If that doesn't work, you might need to find someone with a microsd to USB jig or something of the sort and use a computer to format it.
If I helped you in anyway please hit the "Thanks" button! If I wasn't super helpful, feel free to PM me!

Current Device: GS3 (AT&T) SGH-i747

Accessories: Incipio 2000mAh case &Urban Armor Gear Case (Slate)
Rom: Quantum Rom 4.4.2
Kernel:QuantumCore 12/15
GApps: PA 0-Day Gapps

zerogood
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXshur1kenXx View Post
Hmm. You might have to try a double format in TWRP, then when you load up the System use the system's format tool. (i.e. Storage --> Wipe SD Card). If that doesn't work, you might need to find someone with a microsd to USB jig or something of the sort and use a computer to format it.
yeah thanks for the support, tried a number of things in twrp but to no avail. i went out and bought another 64gb microsd card and put it in my phone, works perfectly. but still i'm trying to get the other card working. the new card came with an adapter so i've been trying to format it in my computer. i've used windows format, i do the long one, it gets all the way to the end looks like its complete then says unable to format. and all teh data is still there, i've also tried guiformat by ridgecrop, says success but still all the information is still there.
i don't know if this means the card is corrupt i'd always assumed i'd get corruption error messages.
is there a program i can use to scan the card for errors or corruption?

thanks again dude for the responses any additional help will be very much appreciated still.
again thanks.

zerogood
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default solution sorta found

Okay, finally ran out of options and things to search for so broke down and called sandisk techncial suport (didn't think they could help but my mistake)

Read the technician