5,605,438 Members 43,654 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Rooting and Installing CM10.2 Jelly Bean 4.3 on Kindle Fire HD 7.

Tip us?
 
jetfire158
Old
(Last edited by jetfire158; 11th December 2013 at 09:32 PM.)
#1  
jetfire158's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 7
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default Rooting and Installing CM10.2 Jelly Bean 4.3 on Kindle Fire HD 7.

Hello all!

Thanks to this great forum and other sources, (but mostly this forum) I was able to turn my Kindle Fire into a Google tablet with a lot more functionality than the stock Amazon Kindle. Thus, I've decided to show my appreciation by making a contribution of my own in the hopes that it will be very helpful to others attempting the same thing, since I had to search multiple sources to find solutions to the various problems I ran into. Now hopefully with what I've managed to compile, people won't have to do what I did and the process will be made much quicker and smoother! Since I'm new I can't put urls in my post, so I've made a nice .pdf to download with the links to all necessary downloads.

Enjoy, and a huge thank you to xda-developers!

EDIT: The .pdf route just wasn't work out, I guess, so I put the original Word file.
The Following User Says Thank You to jetfire158 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
LinearEquation
Old
#2  
LinearEquation's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 334
Posts: 1,370
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Midwest

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfire158 View Post
Hello all!

Thanks to this great forum and other sources, (but mostly this forum) I was able to turn my Kindle Fire into a Google tablet with a lot more functionality than the stock Amazon Kindle. Thus, I've decided to show my appreciation by making a contribution of my own in the hopes that it will be very helpful to others attempting the same thing, since I had to search multiple sources to find solutions to the various problems I ran into. Now hopefully with what I've managed to compile, people won't have to do what I did and the process will be made much quicker and smoother! Since I'm new I can't put urls in my post, so I've made a nice .pdf to download with the links to all necessary downloads.

Enjoy, and a huge thank you to xda-developers!
FYI, "Failed to load PDF."
[ROOT]
2013 KFHD7 KFSOWI with firmware 11.x.x.x KFSOWI (no camera/no HDMI output) http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2544736 Post 10 at the link has instructions to block Amazon OTA updates on KFHD 7 KFSOWI
Remove Ads from Lockscreen KFHD7 2013 KFSOWI http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=48623841
 
jetfire158
Old
#3  
jetfire158's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 7
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearEquation View Post
FYI, "Failed to load PDF."
Blah, well just download the Word file then.
 
LinearEquation
Old
#4  
LinearEquation's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 334
Posts: 1,370
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Midwest

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfire158 View Post
Blah, well just download the Word file then.
I think you should research more before putting this up for everyone. There is no unroot after rooted on KFHD. Some things can be accessed via Amazon apps other such as Amazon Prime movies cannot. If someone wants that, they should go with Kinology ROM. Root many Android has there downloads on XDA as well.

I know that you're trying to help but there are tutorials here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2271909 here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2128848 and here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2347170 for the 7" and as many 8.9" tutorials.
[ROOT]
2013 KFHD7 KFSOWI with firmware 11.x.x.x KFSOWI (no camera/no HDMI output) http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2544736 Post 10 at the link has instructions to block Amazon OTA updates on KFHD 7 KFSOWI
Remove Ads from Lockscreen KFHD7 2013 KFSOWI http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=48623841
 
jetfire158
Old
#5  
jetfire158's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 7
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearEquation View Post
I think you should research more before putting this up for everyone. There is no unroot after rooted on KFHD. Some things can be accessed via Amazon apps other such as Amazon Prime movies cannot. If someone wants that, they should go with Kinology ROM. Root many Android has there downloads on XDA as well.

I know that you're trying to help but there are tutorials here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2271909 here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2128848 and here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2347170 for the 7" and as many 8.9" tutorials.
Just sharing what worked for me, because doing this on the Kindle is quite complicated and difficult, and people often run into issues. So if something doesn't work, we resort to searching the web for other methods. Therefore the more methods that are available the better chances someone has of getting it to work.

And sorry, but I would appreciate it if you didn't accuse me of not doing enough research. There were multiple sources that said unroot does work for the HD. I guess I'll have to try it myself, though.
 
LinearEquation
Old
#6  
LinearEquation's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 334
Posts: 1,370
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Midwest

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfire158 View Post
Just sharing what worked for me, because doing this on the Kindle is quite complicated and difficult, and people often run into issues. So if something doesn't work, we resort to searching the web for other methods. Therefore the more methods that are available the better chances someone has of getting it to work.

And sorry, but I would appreciate it if you didn't accuse me of not doing enough research. There were multiple sources that said unroot does work for the HD. I guess I'll have to try it myself, though.
Your instructions are choppy and missing steps. If I were a n00b, I would be confused. You can un-root a Kindle Fire HD and go stock again by restoring the system. But the statement you made at the end of your tutorial makes no sense. A rooted Kindle Fire HD does not lose any of the Amazon features. You cannot swap back and forth unless you flash an Amazon OS nandroid backup or use Kinology. That's how you regain the features of the Amazon OS after installing a 2nd bootloader and a custom ROM.

You know what I would appreciate? Don't offer something in a tutorial that can't be done and you have not even tried yourself because when people try it, they can do some damage to an expensive tablet.
[ROOT]
2013 KFHD7 KFSOWI with firmware 11.x.x.x KFSOWI (no camera/no HDMI output) http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2544736 Post 10 at the link has instructions to block Amazon OTA updates on KFHD 7 KFSOWI
Remove Ads from Lockscreen KFHD7 2013 KFSOWI http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=48623841
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Android App Review: Auto Config Free – XDA Developer TV

In this weeks episode of XDA Xposed Tuesday, we talked about customization of … more

Cloupload is a Beautiful and Fully Functional CloudApp Client for Android

If you’re a Mac OS X user who frequently uploads screenshots, … more

Microsoft Finally Brings Remote Desktop to Windows Phone

You may recall that back in October of last year, Microsoft released itsofficial … more

SideControl Gains New Powers through Xposed

You may recall that a little overa month ago, we first talked about SideCutsby XDA Forum … more