XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Enable swap easily!

Tip us?

Recognized Noob
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 271
Location Enable swap easily!

There is a lot of debate about how swap degrades or lessens your sd card life. Some say that sd card with speed over 6mbps will not be affected if you have swap.
This is not true. Swap always degrades the life of your memory card. But dont worry! If you have above a class 6 sd card, it will take long time for you to notice and problems. You can check if u have a class 6 or above card by looking at it. It should be written within a circle.

Anyway, there are a lot of ways to enable swap. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...t.free.swapper is a good app. If it doesnt work, you can try other apps. Just type swap android in google. I prefer roehsoft ram expander, though. This app lets you adjust many things like swappiness etc easily. You have to pay for it though.

If you want to check if swap is enabled, you can type "free" in android terminal, or more easily download the "memoryinfo and swapfile check" app for free. It will show you everything you need to know.

I suggest to change the swappiness to 100.

Now that you have swap, big games should play smoothly.

Remember to clear your ram once in a while! And you need to set swap after every boot or u can just click on the option in the app.

Easy as 123. HoPe it helped!
If I'd observed all the RULES, I'd never have got ANYWHERE

CLICK IF I HELPED! (AND EVEN IF I DIDN'T)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Recognized Noob For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Dark Nexus
Old
Thanks Meter 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recognized Noob View Post
There is a lot of debate about how swap degrades or lessens your sd card life. Some say that sd card with speed over 6mbps will not be affected if you have swap.
This is not true. Swap always degrades the life of your memory card. But dont worry! If you have above a class 6 sd card, it will take long time for you to notice and problems. You can check if u have a class 6 or above card by looking at it. It should be written within a circle.

Anyway, there are a lot of ways to enable swap. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...t.free.swapper is a good app. If it doesnt work, you can try other apps. Just type swap android in google. I prefer roehsoft ram expander, though. This app lets you adjust many things like swappiness etc easily. You have to pay for it though.

If you want to check if swap is enabled, you can type "free" in android terminal, or more easily download the "memoryinfo and swapfile check" app for free. It will show you everything you need to know.

I suggest to change the swappiness to 100.

Now that you have swap, big games should play smoothly.

Remember to clear your ram once in a while! And you need to set swap after every boot or u can just click on the option in the app.

Easy as 123. HoPe it helped!
Bro how to check class of my sdcard

Dark Nexus
The Following User Says Thank You to Dark Nexus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Recognized Noob
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Nexus View Post
Bro how to check class of my sdcard

Dark Nexus
The most common method to check which I have mentioned in the guide is to check on the front of the card. It will be written within a small circle.
Sometimes it is not written.
If u want to check if swap will work or not then simply download "memoryinfo and swapfile check" app from market and do the test.
Click thanx
If I'd observed all the RULES, I'd never have got ANYWHERE

CLICK IF I HELPED! (AND EVEN IF I DIDN'T)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Recognized Noob For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]