RESTful to Android connectivity

Tip us?

wroobel
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default RESTful to Android connectivity

Hi,
I'm going to write a system for processing taxi orders. It consits of client application, driver application and restfull web service. For now I have only a few POST resources in my server that consumes JSON file and produces plain text. I'm wondering how to resolve the situation when the client need confirmation about the order he made or when the new order is made and has to be delivered to taxi driver app. I am a beginner android developer and I do not know which tools should I consider to achieve it. Is it good idea to use a service that checks let say every 30sec for new order/confirmation or shuld I use another solution for example let REST to connect directly to the particular android device?

Thank you in andvance for your response.

EmptinessFiller
Old
Thanks Meter 21
You can use push notifications by using Google Cloud Messaging.

wroobel
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptinessFiller View Post
You can use push notifications by using Google Cloud Messaging.
Thanks for the idea. I didn't know about it before. I have just one question - since I use RESTful service the easiest way to implement GCM is to choose http protocol (single POST request) but there is no upstream feature in it. Is it good approach to use GCM in "server -> android" connection and regular POST request (that I used till now) vice versa?