XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

APNs switching?

Tip us?

coyttl
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Default APNs switching?

Starting about .. oh, 3 or 4 months ago, I've noticed my phone dropping data, OR, getting stuck on 'E' or 'G' symbols, even in areas that have LTE. Every time I notice this, I go into APN Settings, and I find that the selected APN has changed. (Usually from 'T-Mobile US LTE' to just 'T-Mobile US'..)

I don't have any APN apps or anything, but have been running AOSP v4.3 (then v4.4) since about the same time this started.

Any ideas on what to check? Am I going crazy? (Is my phone going crazy?)

--Mike.

Skipjacks
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyttl View Post
Starting about .. oh, 3 or 4 months ago, I've noticed my phone dropping data, OR, getting stuck on 'E' or 'G' symbols, even in areas that have LTE. Every time I notice this, I go into APN Settings, and I find that the selected APN has changed. (Usually from 'T-Mobile US LTE' to just 'T-Mobile US'..)

I don't have any APN apps or anything, but have been running AOSP v4.3 (then v4.4) since about the same time this started.

Any ideas on what to check? Am I going crazy? (Is my phone going crazy?)

--Mike.
You could delete the APN's that you don't want it to switch to. Just leave yourself with the one you want, and it shouldn't be able to change.

Now that MIGHT cause it to switch to nothing, leaving the phone without any connection. But if that happens a revert to the nandroid backup you make before trying this would fix it, at least back to what you have now.
Do you want insanely better battery drain when your phone is idle? Check out this thread!
Have a question about the T Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4? Click here for the Help Thread!

coyttl
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipjacks View Post
You could delete the APN's that you don't want it to switch to. Just leave yourself with the one you want, and it shouldn't be able to change.

Now that MIGHT cause it to switch to nothing, leaving the phone without any connection. But if that happens a revert to the nandroid backup you make before trying this would fix it, at least back to what you have now.
I went ahead and tried this. So far, everything seems to be okay. I'll keep an eye on it for the weekend, and see if any oddness occurs.

Thanks!
-Me.

coyttl
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyttl View Post
I went ahead and tried this. So far, everything seems to be okay. I'll keep an eye on it for the weekend, and see if any oddness occurs.

Thanks!
-Me.
Okay -
This didn't work, but it DID change the.. er.. way to fix -
What happens is that the data symbol will vanish - no data. Voice works okay. Since there's only ONE APN, if I go into the settings, it's still selected. (Leading me to believe that when I had multiple APNs, the top one WASN'T actually 'selected', the code was just marking the first one as active, when none were. Silly Radio lists..)

I had to add and save a 'dummy' APN entry, then select it, and then reselect my real APN, and it starts working.

It happens maybe once every other day, so it's not a big issue.

The Sickness
Old
Thanks Meter 4634

DONATE TO ME
Have you tried to force LTE?

My S4 Has The Sickness

DEVIANT DEVELOPMENT

DONATIONS ARE NOT EXPECTED...
BUT,

SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION FOR MY HARD WORK...
HIT THE THANKS BUTTON, TAKES LESS TIME TO DO THAN YOU THINK...
Device: A Insane Galaxy S4
Rom: Insane Kit Kat The Sickness Edition
Recovery: TWRP

coyttl
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloycowboy View Post
Have you tried to force LTE?
Yeah - the phone seems to ignore that. Meaning that, it will still drop data, forcing me to unselect and reselect.

Though, I spoke to the developer, and it looks like it's a ROM issue, actually, and I'm running the lastest build now, which is *supposed* to have the fix. We'll see after the holiday tomorrow.

--Mike