5,598,542 Members 44,759 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] rooted, custom rom, update MDK?

Tip us?

RedBullet
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default [Q] rooted, custom rom, update MDK?

So, I have unlocked bootloader, rooted, running custom recovery and amd currently running MDK baseband.

I do see that there have been several updates to the radio (baseband) but also a lot of stuff that gives me pause.

Is it possible for me to upgrade the baseband without loosing the unlocked bootloader, SU, and custom recovery?

If it is, is there any advantage?

hlxanthus
Old
Thanks Meter 557
I have tried almost every radio from the various updates . . none are any better in my opinion. I say leave it alone.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

y157
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullet View Post
So, I have unlocked bootloader, rooted, running custom recovery and amd currently running MDK baseband.

I do see that there have been several updates to the radio (baseband) but also a lot of stuff that gives me pause.

Is it possible for me to upgrade the baseband without loosing the unlocked bootloader, SU, and custom recovery?

If it is, is there any advantage?
I would agree, but if you want to change things, I'd recommend backing up in recovery before making any changes so you can revert easily. A lot of the custom ROMs will also update the radio, and you get a lot of other nice features and improvements (ie. better batterylife).

RedBullet
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by y157 View Post
I would agree, but if you want to change things, I'd recommend backing up in recovery before making any changes so you can revert easily. A lot of the custom ROMs will also update the radio, and you get a lot of other nice features and improvements (ie. better batterylife).
So, can I flash the radio without impacting my unlocked bootloader/root/custom recovery? If so, what the latest and how?

y157
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
So, can I flash the radio without impacting my unlocked bootloader/root/custom recovery? If so, what the latest and how?
For boatloads of information I would refer you to:
Sticky at the top of general
In here I think the post on the radio is in the second posting.

I still think the hassle to do the radio change only is not worth the effort.

joshm.1219
Old
Thanks Meter 881
Quote:
You can flash radios without affecting anything else if you do it correctly. Go to the modems thread on the first page of this section and follow the instructions Surge posted.

Usually the radios don't make much difference, but you could at least update to mj7, which enables LTE band 4, a new & faster band if it is activated in your area.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2848/11738368925_6e7dbef510_o.png
  • CARRIER: VERIZON
  • DEVICE: HTC ONE MAX
  • RECOVERY: TWRP 2.7
  • ROM: NUSENSE SIX
  • KERNEL: CLEANKERNEL
  • LAUNCHER: TSF SHELL
  • XPOSED MODULES: Greenify/KeepChat/NotifyClean/Sense6Toolbox/Snapshare/YoutubeAdAway
  • CASE: POWER FLIP
  • HACKS: LIFETIME FREE PIZZA DELIVERY