XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

(app) Naked Browser

Tip us?

WillyFourSixty
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default (app) Naked Browser

Have been running Unjust's CM11 version and I must say I think it's the best ROM I've ever used. Super smooth and quick. That being said the browser has quirks so I went about finding a replacement.

After trying all of them several times I tried "Naked Browser". It's ugly as sin and missing a few features, but man it's blazing fast. Very small footprint as well. Just thought I would throw it out there for some that it might help....(4.3 & 4.4 users especially).

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to WillyFourSixty For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hhp_211
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 477
Can you give us a rundown of the others you tried and what maybe was your main pros & cons of them?

I've always thought chrome was nice but way to much memory hog for 4.2.x and up ROMs.

Fascinate SCH-i500 -- Currently Running :: Something with some kind of Kernel

Samsung Fascinate SCH-i500 -- [Kernels] Flashable Jellybean 4.2.x || 4.3 || & tweaks
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=38014509

WillyFourSixty
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Well to be honest my main reasoning came down to 2 basic things. Number one being speed. In my limited use the Naked Browser is very basic and speedy. None of the others, even Opera Mini, seem as quick to me.

Number 2 reason is the way it looks on a smaller screened device. And by that I mean I hate, I hate, having to constantly pinch and zoom to get the pages "optimized" upon every click. Naked's pages come up in a manner that is already usable. And when you need to zoom you have the option of using zoom buttons...a la' the old Google Maps style. Much better for me personally.

And as a bonus the apps' footprint is under 200kb.

I haven't used it long personally. But so far I'm really liking it. Hope this helps!

WillyFourSixty
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Also...

I hate saying and using the term "outdated", as my Fassy has been an excellent device for me but technically that's what it is now. If it wasn't outdated and had more horsepower I would probably use the stock browser, Chrome, or Next Browser. I like them as well. But they don't play nice with a Fassy running 4.2+ in my experience.

skepticmisfit
Old
Thanks Meter 100
I seem to get along just fine with chrome on my phone. It's a bit slow but it works

WillyFourSixty
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quick update:

After using this browser some more I feel it has great potential. Have had a few glitchy moments depending on what I'm doing, and on certain webpages. I find myself using this browser as well as waffling back and forth to Opera Mini.

If you are ok with a feature rich browser and don't mind it being a little slow than these options probably won't serve you well. I however, hate lag or slowness of any kind. If you're like me give both these options a try. Naked is fast and occasionally glitchy. Opera Mini is nearly as fast, more polished, and has more features. Both stomp the stock browser running newer 4.2+ ROMs on the Fassy. Hope this helps some people. -Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to WillyFourSixty For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]