5,593,248 Members 32,378 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

What format should I use for my microSD card?

Tip us?

thefederer
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question What format should I use for my microSD card?

My sd card is having issues when running aosp roms but works well with hyperdrive. It says invalid path whenever trying to access files through a file browser. How can i fix this? do i need to format the card? If so, how do i do that without a buying a card reader for my computer?

Omerta82
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Exfat

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

wtherrell
Old
Thanks Meter 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omerta82 View Post
Exfat

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
+1 for exfat. You can have really BIG files in exfat.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

thefederer
Old
(Last edited by thefederer; 12th December 2013 at 06:12 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
+1 for exfat. You can have really BIG files in exfat.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
I mounted to exfat and now my sd card won't mount. when i plug in the usb only the internal sd card shows up now

ups2525
Old
(Last edited by ups2525; 12th December 2013 at 09:11 AM.)
Thanks Meter 104

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefederer View Post
My sd card is having issues when running aosp roms but works well with hyperdrive. It says invalid path whenever trying to access files through a file browser. How can i fix this? do i need to format the card? If so, how do i do that without a buying a card reader for my computer?
My 64Gb card is Fat32...zero problems...I'm constantly between TouchWiz and AOSP...its all good.

I threw my beastly 64 Gb card in a reader/adapter and slapped that bad boy in my Windows 7 laptop. I formatted the card to Fat32 and immediately the clouds parted, the sunshine started blazing and the birds started chirping... LOL!!
Be courteous click thanks when someone or some info they have shared helps you out.
IMO the forum is a journal or log of the struggles and triumpths experienced in this hobby I love so much.
I appreciate my membership and will do all I can to be a positive contributor.

Samsung king of smartphones & Cane Corso canine royalty
The Following User Says Thank You to ups2525 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

joshm.1219
Old
Thanks Meter 873
If you have compatibility issues you should be on fat32. You only need exfat if you have movies or nandroids that are larger than 4gb.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2848/11738368925_6e7dbef510_o.png
  • CARRIER: VERIZON
  • DEVICE: HTC ONE MAX
  • RECOVERY: TWRP 2.7
  • ROM: NUSENSE SIX
  • KERNEL: CLEANKERNEL
  • LAUNCHER: TSF SHELL
  • XPOSED MODULES: Greenify/KeepChat/NotifyClean/Sense6Toolbox/Snapshare/YoutubeAdAway
  • CASE: POWER FLIP
  • HACKS: LIFETIME FREE PIZZA DELIVERY
The Following User Says Thank You to joshm.1219 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thefederer
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ups2525 View Post
My 64Gb card is Fat32...zero problems...I'm constantly between TouchWiz and AOSP...its all good.

I threw my beastly 64 Gb card in a reader/adapter and slapped that bad boy in my Windows 7 laptop. I formatted the card to Fat32 and immediately the clouds parted, the sunshine started blazing and the birds started chirping... LOL!!
I don't have a card reader, but i formatted to vfat in cwm and it has been working alright. I guess vfat and fat32 are similar