Major 4.4 \ 4.4.1 \ 4.4.2 bug

Search This thread

emerica243

Aug 1, 2010
So im not sure if this affects 4.4 4.4.1 4.4.2 or all of them. However i did not notice this UNTIL 4.4.2. It could of possibly been happening with 4.4 but i dont think so.

Ive had this happen twice this week, atleast that ive noticed. And the situation has been the same. I will have service, and then i will jump on wifi and end up walking into a no service area. After im done in the no service area, i will kill wifi and walk back to an area that i have coverage. The walk to and from both locations the coverage is spotty. However when i get back to the area where i have full coverage the status bar indicates i have bars, however if you look at the tiles, it shows NO SERVICE, but WITH BARS. I dont know if i actually have service or not. But either way its a graphical glitch.

7U7V6rYl.png

t0p8uzz

Nov 6, 2013
Leeds
So im not sure if this affects 4.4 4.4.1 4.4.2 or all of them. However i did not notice this UNTIL 4.4.2. It could of possibly been happening with 4.4 but i dont think so.

Ive had this happen twice this week, atleast that ive noticed. And the situation has been the same. I will have service, and then i will jump on wifi and end up walking into a no service area. After im done in the no service area, i will kill wifi and walk back to an area that i have coverage. The walk to and from both locations the coverage is spotty. However when i get back to the area where i have full coverage the status bar indicates i have bars, however if you look at the tiles, it shows NO SERVICE, but WITH BARS. I dont know if i actually have service or not. But either way its a graphical glitch.

7U7V6rYl.png

Same since updating to 4.4.1 and 4.4.2 ... was fine for me on 4.4

emerica243

Aug 1, 2010
Same since updating to 4.4.1 and 4.4.2 ... was fine for me on 4.4

Glad to know im not the only one. Question is, do we really have service when it says that, or do we actually have service. I forget to physically test it. I hope we actually still have service and just the NO SERVICE text is the glitch.

emerica243

Aug 1, 2010
...an icon issue is a "Major bug"? :confused:

Does it cause hotboots? App crashes? Make your phone explode? It's like the title was written to get page views...

I spend my precious time trying to get page views on a internet forum? Are you kidding me?

A phone showing you that you have service when you may not isn't a major bug? Youre joking right? I guess when your car shows that your gas tank is full when its really about to hit empty isn't anything to be worried about either.

Reactions: phositadc

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
its not an issue, thats how its supposed to be. notice how it shows the service bars in orange? that means that no data is flowing even though theres a connection. when data starts flowing, they turn white.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
its not an issue, thats how its supposed to be. notice how it shows the service bars in orange? that means that no data is flowing even though theres a connection. when data starts flowing, they turn white.

I dont think that's the issue. Orange dictates no connection to Google services which may or not be down to the fact that there's no service.

However, regardless of this, H + bars should not co exist with "No Service" on a regular basis.

No service should mean no voice, no data, no bars

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit

avocco

Apr 28, 2007
Stockport
I've had this problem for a while. My signal bars will show full even when I have no signal. Have to toggle airplane mode on and off to get it resolved.

I'd say it was a major bug. Thinking you have signal when you've got none is bad ESPECIALLY for a phone.

Its intermittent. Sometimes I can go days with no problems and then I'll have it three times in 1 day. Very annoying.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

FuMMoD

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Mar 11, 2009
South Florida
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
I spend my precious time trying to get page views on a internet forum? Are you kidding me?

A phone showing you that you have service when you may not isn't a major bug? Youre joking right? I guess when your car shows that your gas tank is full when its really about to hit empty isn't anything to be worried about either.

This issue is like the volume knob coming off your radio in the car but still being able to turn it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
This issue is like the volume knob coming off your radio in the car but still being able to turn it.

No. Its like the volume knob staying on your radio in the car but sometimes it doesn't grip the shaft and the volume doesn't change

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit

Marand55

May 4, 2007

I haven't had this issue with 4.4 but I do have it with 4.4.2 and had it with 4.4.1. I thought 4.4.2 would have fixed it but it didn't.

avocco

Apr 28, 2007
Stockport

Sorry to say this but your analogy is incorrect. With the volume you'd have a constant reminder by the music playing to tell you what the volume is. And same for adjusting it up and down as well.

The problem the OP is describing is having a car that's showing you've got a full tank only to have it cut out on you on the motorway on Christmas day leaving you stranded in the countryside while someone else eats your Christmas dinner.

In case it wasn't already obvious. It cut out because the car had no fuel but the fuel gauge was faulty.

PS just to clarify, on the main status bar my signal bars will be full. However when I click on the notification and click on settings. My signal bars will show NO SIGNAL. This doesn't happy all the time and I know exactly what the orange bars mean.

Me and the OP are talking about the status bar showing full signal when in actual effect you have none.

Last edited:

emerica243

Aug 1, 2010
Sorry to say this but your analogy is incorrect. With the volume you'd have a constant reminder by the music playing to tell you what the volume is. And same for adjusting it up and down as well.

The problem the OP is describing is having a car that's showing you've got a full tank only to have it cut out on you on the motorway on Christmas day leaving you stranded in the countryside while someone else eats your Christmas dinner.

In case it wasn't already obvious. It cut out because the car had no fuel but the fuel gauge was faulty.

PS just to clarify, on the main status bar my signal bars will be full. However when I click on the notification and click on settings. My signal bars will show NO SIGNAL. This doesn't happy all the time and I know exactly what the orange bars mean.

Me and the OP are talking about the status bar showing full signal when in actual effect you have none.

exactly this.

maxpower7

May 2, 2011
This is kind of off on a tangent (and OP, I really do feel for you even though I don't have any suggestions), but I am SO TIRED of people talking about their bars of service. It's like I've been transported back in time to 2003. I stopped even looking at the bars years ago because they're almost completely meaningless.

Anyway, rant over :)

emerica243

Aug 1, 2010
This is kind of off on a tangent (and OP, I really do feel for you even though I don't have any suggestions), but I am SO TIRED of people talking about their bars of service. It's like I've been transported back in time to 2003. I stopped even looking at the bars years ago because they're almost completely meaningless.

Anyway, rant over :)

I know bars are just a graphical representation. But when i glance down at my phone i always look at them to make sure i have active service. I could care less how much. But the liking of seeing bars, or reading straight dB numbers is pointless if what its telling you is a lie.

Lucke

Oct 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
I dont think that's the issue. Orange dictates no connection to Google services which may or not be down to the fact that there's no service.

However, regardless of this, H + bars should not co exist with "No Service" on a regular basis.

This...

also confirmed by the following article
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...on-android-gets-cleaner-brighter-more-useful/

but more to that, when i turn wifi off, i have the same thing for a few seconds, meaning that the switch from wifi to cell is not as instantaneous as you think it should be. i will still see the H+ or LTE for a few seconds before the icon turns white again. that is normal as far as i can tell.

Reactions: anactoraaron

muyoso

Oct 23, 2007
Its literally done this for 3 or 4 Android versions, ever since they introduced the quick toggles. Its not an issue at all. The toggle just lags behind a bit in updating in certain situations. Its not like data isn't actually working. Its just a bit of a graphical glitch.

samagon

Jul 28, 2008
Houston

Does it cause hotboots? App crashes? Make your phone explode? It's like the title was written to get page views...

This has happened on my phone since day 1. My experience is that it does not have any actually service at all. First thing I tried when I saw this was airplane mode, then airplane mode off. No bars, no signal, nothing. Turn it off and on, same. It fixes after a few minutes. Even if you don't turn on/off airplane, it is still no signal. I is cause I'll get emails from 3 or 4 different accounts at the same time, where my tablet has already received them.

I've only seen it happen in my house, so I figured lte was the suck in my house.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

anactoraaron

Aug 29, 2011
St. Cloud, MN

This has happened on my phone since day 1. My experience is that it does not have any actually service at all. First thing I tried when I saw this was airplane mode, then airplane mode off. No bars, no signal, nothing. Turn it off and on, same. It fixes after a few minutes. Even if you don't turn on/off airplane, it is still no signal. I is cause I'll get emails from 3 or 4 different accounts at the same time, where my tablet has already received them.

I've only seen it happen in my house, so I figured lte was the suck in my house.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

Not trying to offend anyone with my post, but I was simply pointing out that an icon that doesn't update quickly/properly in the quick settings panel isn't a major bug. Now if you tell me that in settings/phone status your phone is showing you have signal - say -100dbm - and you actually don't have service - well, even then I would only call that a mild or moderate bug. But an icon (in one location) that isn't accurate isn't going to run me out of fuel and have someone eat my Christmas dinner (seriously that stuff made me chuckle a bit). I didn't have a cellular device 15 years ago and I was eating my own food TYVM :D. --But even if someone showed up at my place and ate my plate of food, shouldn't I get in the car and go to the next house? :silly:
@samagon- turning airplane mode on and off turns off the radios and it's completely normal for the phone to delay a few minutes before getting any reception. Not getting emails could be that the phone isn't syncing as often (among other variables).

And I believe the car analogy should have been-
You have a car. You turn the key and it tells you it's running, but the engine isn't making any noise and the car doesn't go anywhere.

The fuel analogy IMO would likely reference the battery not reporting the correct amount of charge (fuel) remaining.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This...

also confirmed by the following article
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...on-android-gets-cleaner-brighter-more-useful/

but more to that, when i turn wifi off, i have the same thing for a few seconds, meaning that the switch from wifi to cell is not as instantaneous as you think it should be. i will still see the H+ or LTE for a few seconds before the icon turns white again. that is normal as far as i can tell.