5,604,122 Members 48,194 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Install new build of ROM and keep apps and settings?

Tip us?
 
Gusalo
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default [Q] Install new build of ROM and keep apps and settings?

I have been using houstonn's 4.4 and now 4.4.1 ROMs (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2502789) and am happy, but I want to stay on the latest build without having to reinstall apps and everything every time. I want to install the 12/11 BETA build, but how do I keep my apps and settings and stuff?

Thanks for helping me out - perhaps obviously I am new to this stuff. Fun though!
 
RubbleTea
Old
(Last edited by RubbleTea; 12th December 2013 at 11:05 PM.) Reason: info
#2  
RubbleTea's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 144
Posts: 584
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusalo View Post
I have been using houstonn's 4.4 and now 4.4.1 ROMs (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2502789) and am happy, but I want to stay on the latest build without having to reinstall apps and everything every time. I want to install the 12/11 BETA build, but how do I keep my apps and settings and stuff?

Thanks for helping me out - perhaps obviously I am new to this stuff. Fun though!
If you want to flash a new nightly build all you have to do is wipe cache and davlik flash new build the wipe cache and davlik again then fix permissions.......recommend doing backup before and if you want to keep app data for anything in future Titanium backup can backup that...hope this helps

Also if the framework changes I recommend entire wipe or if Dev recommends.....
 
Gusalo
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubbleTea View Post
If you want to flash a new nightly build all you have to do is wipe cache and davlik flash new build the wipe cache and davlik again then fix permissions.......recommend doing backup before and if you want to keep app data for anything in future Titanium backup can backup that...hope this helps

Also if the framework changes I recommend entire wipe or if Dev recommends.....
Thanks for the response. I have a couple of questions though.
1. For the backup - are you saying to use Titanium Backup to back up the apps and data and then restore the apps and data with Titanium Backup after updating?

2. If the Dev recommends entire wipe, is there any way to keep my apps and settings and stuff?

Thanks!
 
RubbleTea
Old
#4  
RubbleTea's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 144
Posts: 584
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusalo View Post
Thanks for the response. I have a couple of questions though.
1. For the backup - are you saying to use Titanium Backup to back up the apps and data and then restore the apps and data with Titanium Backup after updating?

2. If the Dev recommends entire wipe, is there any way to keep my apps and settings and stuff?

Thanks!
If its just new nightly builds you can dirty flash...wipe cche and davlik then flash then wipe cache and davlik ag again.

For your first question use Titanium backup for app data if you do have to do entire wipe ( system,data,cache and davlik).

If the Dev recommended entire wipe he prob knows best cause he built it......if your on the ROM and flashing a new nightly like I said just dirty flash and if you use twrp under advanced click fix permissions after flashing also
 
bachera
Old
#5  
bachera's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 197
Posts: 1,013
Join Date: Sep 2013
do not restore apps+appdata and then complain about weird stuff happening like wakelocks, laggs, battery, fc, etc

Sent from my LG-D802
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes