XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Root won't work

Tip us?

sebas156
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Root won't work

I just came from a custom ROM back to stock rom and wanted to root again. I flashed CWM recovery with ODIN en then flashed CWM-SuperSU-v.0.99.zip
When I opened the SuperSU app and clicked on update, it said installation failed. I went to the play store to update. Now it says I'm not even rooted . What am I doing wrong here?

Joku1981
Old
Thanks Meter 461

DONATE TO ME
Use this method -> HERE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CLICK "THANKS" BUTTON IF I HELPED YA
The Following User Says Thank You to Joku1981 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sebas156
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joku1981 View Post
Use this method -> HERE
Can I just flash over the current CWM recovery?

jaswinky
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebas156 View Post
Can I just flash over the current CWM recovery?
No, you were just installing supersu app (you don't need cwm recovery to do that), but not making root. Supersu is just a tool for root management. Flash cfautoroot with odin and then go to gplay and download supersu.

Enviado desde mi GT-P7510 usando Tapatalk 2

sebas156
Old
(Last edited by sebas156; 13th December 2013 at 12:48 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaswinky View Post
No, you were just installing supersu app (you don't need cwm recovery to do that), but not making root. Supersu is just a tool for root management. Flash cfautoroot with odin and then go to gplay and download supersu.

I flashed SuperSU (so including the binary, not just the app) in CWM recovery. How is that not making root? It should work that way, just apparently not for me.

so I already have CWM recovery, and the CF-auto-root brings the stock recovery. My question was whether I can just flash over it or not

edit: I just flashed over it, and works now

jaswinky
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebas156 View Post
I flashed SuperSU (so including the binary, not just the app) in CWM recovery. How is that not making root? It should work that way, just apparently not for me.

so I already have CWM recovery, and the CF-auto-root brings the stock recovery. My question was whether I can just flash over it or not

edit: I just flashed over it, and works now
Supersu is just an app to manage root accesses, and binaries can be installed directly oppening supersu after install it from google play or from a zip using cwm (what you did), but first you need to make root. I am 99% sure that cfautoroot backups the actual recovery to restore again after root; if dont you can flash again the cwm after cfauto and you shouldn't lose root.