5,600,292 Members 36,751 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Updating Clockwork Mod Recovery

Tip us?

tubzlar
Old
(Last edited by tubzlar; 13th December 2013 at 02:13 AM.) Reason: forgot a detail about my phone
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] Updating Clockwork Mod Recovery

Please be nice, been googling around about this for the past 2 hours and still lost (lots of articles, none with what I think is the correct solution), so I'm finally posting about it...

Trying to flash my phone with the latest Cyanogen mod 11.0 (here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2540250 ). However, I am getting the status 7 error message. Apparently, according to the forum, I need to update clockwork mod to the newest version.

Currently my CWM tells me it is "CWM-based Recovery v6.0.3.3. However when I check http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager it says the newest version of CWM for my phone is 5.0.2.7. I've downloaded that zip file and tried flashing it inside of CWM but after changing to the new/other version it switches right back to v6.0.3.3 immediately after I reboot into recovery again.

I also have the newest odin versions downloaded on my computer, both 3.07 and 3.09. However, to flash anything through ODIN I need a .tar file for CWM, and I cannot find one. All I can find are full roots that have CWM included I think?

Note: I updated my kernel to the new one recommended on the CyanogenMod page before trying, and failing, to flash the new Cyanogen Mod. So I know my kernel might be a little wonky for the revolt rom version I'm running, not sure what to do about that either.

Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong/provide the proper download link for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Phone model number SPH-D710
Revolt rom 4+ last stable version 4.2
Android version 4.2.2
Kernel 3.0.31-CM-g10a225a

bilgerryan
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 18850

DONATE TO ME
First ROM Manager does not support this phone, don't read anything it has to say about this device, don't use the app, forget you heard of it. Second, Status 7 is a syntax error, probably a bad download... Make sure you verify md5sum before flashing.

The Following User Says Thank You to bilgerryan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tubzlar
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilgerryan View Post
First ROM Manager does not support this phone, don't read anything it has to say about this device, don't use the app, forget you heard of it. Second, Status 7 is a syntax error, probably a bad download... Make sure you verify md5sum before flashing.

I heard of ROM manager but didn't want to use it, hope you don't mean that ODIN is the same thing? (I assume you were just warning me away from it, haha)

As to the md5sum, it looks like it is a match.

Post from the page seems to be that the work around is to have the newest cwm?
Here was something zachf714 posted
"status 7 comes from the fact that for the moment you need the latest cwm to install 4.4"

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7#post48105118

I'm such a newbie I'm not entirely sure what to do with this information. Tried to do lots of searching before finally giving in and making this post.

Btw, thanks for your help so far

tubzlar
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default Figured it out!

So I went to this link

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2416620

downloaded blasphemy kernel v.6.6.

Then I first flashed the new kernel, then revolt rom 4.3. Not sure which one did it for me, but it allowed me to install Cyanogen 11.0 finally

Win!
The Following User Says Thank You to tubzlar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bilgerryan
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 18850

DONATE TO ME
Recovery is included in the kernel on this device