5,604,050 Members 47,534 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] New update notification, how to hide? I don't want to lose my MJ7 root.

Tip us?

FoferX
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] New update notification, how to hide? I don't want to lose my MJ7 root.

Hi all, I'm pretty new here. I've been a longtime iPhone/jailbreak user, switched to Android last month and really happy with the freedom of customization this device has afforded me. I've been reading and learning a lot, and I have some questions. I hope you'll be able to help.

I now have a Verizon Galaxy S4. I followed these excellent instructions, and am now rooted on 4.3 (MJ7) and am liking it quite a bit.

But as of yesterday I've started to see alerts about a "Software Update Ready to install."
I asked a friend who has the same phone and he said he updated, and went from 4.3... to 4.3. He couldn't tell what had changed (if anything.)

So here are my questions:

1) What is this new update all about? It seems like it's not 4.4 KitKat, it's just a small revision to 4.3 Jelly Bean. Is there any info out there about what it contains?

2) I know I shouldn't accept the update, as it would make me lose root. And I don't want to lose root, I need it for too many things. So, using Root Browser, I went into /cache/fota and moved "update.zip" to my SD card, thinking it would help. Then I rebooted. After a few minutes, the "Software update available" notification returned. How can I remove this? If I'm not supposed to accept this OTA update, I don't want to be nagged about it. I don't want to accidentally tap it.

3) Is there a way yet to accept this update, without losing root or bricking my device? If so, how?

Thanks for any answers, I appreciate it and am happy to be here.

Zelmo88
Old
Thanks Meter 133
Use Titanium Backup to freeze the "sdm.apk" and "fwupdate.apk" applications. Or rename those two apps with .bak.
"We are all here, because we are not all there"
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 (SCH-I545)
Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (p3113) w/ Slim ROM 4.2
Retired but not forgotten: HTC Incredible 2

FernBch
Old
Thanks Meter 211
People are reporting taking the update and not losing root here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2565430

Place SuperSU in "survival mode" before you update and you should still have root afterwards.
So much to see, so much to do.

Current Device: Samsung Galaxy S4 On VZW

Pervious devices:
Motorola Photon 4G | HTC Ozone on VZW | Moto Droid X on VZW (Rooted flashed, etc) | Motorola Q

FoferX
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Excellent, thanks for then pointers! I will give it a go.

FoferX
Old
(Last edited by FoferX; 13th December 2013 at 02:57 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
It took a few tries... and a few reboots... but finally, I got it to work. I just got the notification that the update was successful. Sweet! (And, more importantly, I checked with RootChecker and I still have root.) For anyone else following along, the paid version of SuperSU is required in order to be able to invoke "Survival Mode."

I am now running JSS15J.I545VRUEMK2 and I Googled to see these are the changes:

Quote:
KEY DEVICE ENHANCEMENTS
• Email connectivity has been improved
• Consistent Data roaming in Canada and Mexico
• Device will ‘Power On’ after software update is completed
• Non-Samsung chargers will work correctly with the phone
• Improved data connections while using (enterprise) proxy servers

Now, in order to prevent future updates from interrupting me, I went into Titanium Backup and I froze "sdm.apk."

But I can't seem to find the "fwupdate.apk" application. Is there some other name for this?

Thanks very much!