5,606,588 Members 36,082 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Phone acting weird, anyone have a solution?

Tip us?

vizi0nz
Old
(Last edited by vizi0nz; 13th December 2013 at 04:19 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Default Phone acting weird, anyone have a solution?

First of all, my phone is running jellybomb version 2, freeza beastmode kernel 2.0 and cpu running at 2.7. I've never had problems before until one day I downloaded a file that had a virus, so I decided to do a restore using twrp. The restore failed and my phone and it got screwed, I've tried several methods to get it running again and I finally found the solution. I flashed the brickbug file and it was fixed. Now I noticed that sometimes when I restart the phone, it won't restart, it just powers off. There are also times when my phone just blacks out and freezes and I have to do a battery pull. There are also incidents where after boot up from a restart or battery pull, my touch screen won't respond. It's really weird. I dirty flashed to jellybomb version 2 from version 1, I doubt that's the issue since these problems started happening after I flashed brickbug to fix my phone. Anyone know what could be wrong or a fix? It's not a huge issue since my phone works fine most of the time, but it gets a bit annoying when the problem does happen. Last resort would be wipe absolutely everything and start over..

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

demetrios3
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by vizi0nz View Post
First of all, my phone is running jellybomb version 2, freeza beastmode kernel 2.0 and cpu running at 2.7. I've never had problems before until one day I downloaded a file that had a virus, so I decided to do a restore using twrp. The restore failed and my phone and it got screwed, I've tried several methods to get it running again and I finally found the solution. I flashed the brickbug file and it was fixed. Now I noticed that sometimes when I restart the phone, it won't restart, it just powers off. There are also times when my phone just blacks out and freezes and I have to do a battery pull. There are also incidents where after boot up from a restart or battery pull, my touch screen won't respond. It's really weird. I dirty flashed to jellybomb version 2 from version 1, I doubt that's the issue since these problems started happening after I flashed brickbug to fix my phone. Anyone know what could be wrong or a fix? It's not a huge issue since my phone works fine most of the time, but it gets a bit annoying when the problem does happen. Last resort would be wipe absolutely everything and start over..

Honestly my phone does the same with occasional random reboots and lock ups requiring battery pulls (Even the power button-menu-power up didn't restart to twrp) and even then restarting doesn't usually go without a hitch. Even when I was running stock root my phone would get stuck at the yellow sprint screen from time to time and I'd have to go TWRP and wipe Dalvik and Cache, then Dalvik again to get it to reboot.. The only reason I didn't unroot was was because even when my phone was new and out of the box, stock it wouldn't reboot cleanly all the time.

It got a little better after the firmware updates but it still hasn't gone away entirely.

I do expect it to get cleared up eventually but for now just take it as a fact of life with this phone.
Current
DEVICE MODEL: SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 3
MODEL NUMBER: SM-N900P
ANDROID VERSION: 4.4.2
BASEBAND VERSION: N900PVPUCNC5
KERNEL VERSION: 3.4.0 BeastMode-N900P-1.3-ROAR
BUILD NUMBER:VERSION 2.12 (2014-04-09-22:47:04)

Old
MODEL: SAMSUNG EPIC 4G Touch
MODEL NUMBER: SPH-D710
ANDROID VERSION: 4.2.2
CYANOGENMOD VERSION: 10.1 - 20130815
GAPPS: JB-20130812

Older
MODEL: HTC EVO 4G
MODEL NUMBER: HTC EVO 4G
ROM: CM 7.1.0
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to demetrios3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vizi0nz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by demetrios3 View Post
Honestly my phone does the same with occasional random reboots and lock ups requiring battery pulls (Even the power button-menu-power up didn't restart to twrp) and even then restarting doesn't usually go without a hitch. Even when I was running stock root my phone would get stuck at the yellow sprint screen from time to time and I'd have to go TWRP and wipe Dalvik and Cache, then Dalvik again to get it to reboot.. The only reason I didn't unroot was was because even when my phone was new and out of the box, stock it wouldn't reboot cleanly all the time.

It got a little better after the firmware updates but it still hasn't gone away entirely.

I do expect it to get cleared up eventually but for now just take it as a fact of life with this phone.
Yeah, I've been wiping dalvik and cache too, to get my phone back to normal at times too.

The Following User Says Thank You to vizi0nz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

edgar360
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by vizi0nz View Post

Sounds like its the beastmode kernel issues. Flash version 1.8 and see if that fixes your issues.

Phones:

Sprint: Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Desktop:
HP Touchsmart 520 All-In-One

Tablet:

Apple iPad Air - 16GB 4G LTE Sprint

Next: Asus Transformer Book T100

Verizon FiOS Quantum 75/35
The Following User Says Thank You to edgar360 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SantinoInc
Old
Thanks Meter 711
I would run the MJ4 tar via Odin to start totally fresh.
Free 15GB storage plus an additional 5GB for using my referral link. You can also get an additional 5GB for every person you get to join! Of course it has a Android app with features such as automatically syncing any photos/videos you have recently taken when you are on WiFi. Give it a shot!
https://copy.com?r=yxvvP2
The Following User Says Thank You to SantinoInc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sillykaos
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I am having a similar issue. my phone will just reboot on its own and freeze up a lot. i dont think its the kernel because it has been happening ever since i first installed the jellybomb rom and had a lite kernel installed. now switched to beast 2.3 and still having the same issues. im gonna flash 1.8 and see if it gets any better. but people are posting positive results on the 2.3 . dont know what to do. its frustrating
The Following User Says Thank You to sillykaos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Compusmurf
Old
Thanks Meter 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillykaos View Post
I am having a similar issue. my phone will just reboot on its own and freeze up a lot. i dont think its the kernel because it has been happening ever since i first installed the jellybomb rom and had a lite kernel installed. now switched to beast 2.3 and still having the same issues. im gonna flash 1.8 and see if it gets any better. but people are posting positive results on the 2.3 . dont know what to do. its frustrating
Before going through all that mess, toss on a stock kernel and see if your issues go away. You'll narrow down the issues right quick.
The Following User Says Thank You to Compusmurf For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sillykaos
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compusmurf View Post
Before going through all that mess, toss on a stock kernel and see if your issues go away. You'll narrow down the issues right quick.
Ill give it a shot when i get home. barely have service here at my office. ill post my results back.
The Following User Says Thank You to sillykaos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

demetrios3
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compusmurf View Post
My phone has been doing this from the time i took it out of the box on October 4. It was ever worse then, so much so that I returned the phone exchanged it for a new one. The problems continued and I questioned my decision to upgrade to the Note 3 but then the firmware upgrades improved things a little.

I can tolerate the issues now and I do expect them to go away on future updates
Current
DEVICE MODEL: SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 3
MODEL NUMBER: SM-N900P
ANDROID VERSION: 4.4.2
BASEBAND VERSION: N900PVPUCNC5
KERNEL VERSION: 3.4.0 BeastMode-N900P-1.3-ROAR
BUILD NUMBER:VERSION 2.12 (2014-04-09-22:47:04)

Old
MODEL: SAMSUNG EPIC 4G Touch
MODEL NUMBER: SPH-D710
ANDROID VERSION: 4.2.2
CYANOGENMOD VERSION: 10.1 - 20130815
GAPPS: JB-20130812

Older
MODEL: HTC EVO 4G
MODEL NUMBER: HTC EVO 4G
ROM: CM 7.1.0
The Following User Says Thank You to demetrios3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vizi0nz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgar360 View Post
Sounds like its the beastmode kernel issues. Flash version 1.8 and see if that fixes your issues.
I flashed 2.3 kernel and it seemed to fix most problems.. I just get Internet shutdowns here and there.. So far that's the only problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to vizi0nz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]