XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to Get Around T-Mobile Hotspot

Tip us?

aujbman
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Default [Q] How to Get Around T-Mobile Hotspot

Ok, I know I have seen a few threads about this but nothing conclusive or, dare I say, noob friendly as to how to resolve it. So I am asking here. My roommate has moved out leaving me with a few weeks of having to rely on my phone for internet. I am currently running Infamous v.8 and by using Hotspot Shield Free and Wifi Tether TrevE I can hotspot tether for a limited about of data before I have to wait about 6 hours or so. I am looking to find a way to just hotspot tether natively without using apps and without getting the T-mobile screen. I have used many roms including the Carbon KitKat rom using dalvik but still get the T-mobile screen, if the computer connects at all.

I have heard about some libs you can push to get tethering to work, but having never done that, I would need some detailed instructions.

Thanks for any help you can give.
T-Mobile Galaxy S 4
Rooted Stock (for now)

Previous phones:
T-mobile Galaxy S2 rooted
Nexus One (Sexy Nexy)
Mytouch 3g

lojak29
Old
Thanks Meter 152
Do this it works on the att s4 using the built in native hotspot feature
First go to settings applications /manager /all
Your tmobile s4 may not have the native hotspot feature but if does this step is critical for it to work...
Find the hotspot app disable it .
Next go to any root browser tool and go to prefer rom toolbox lite.
Go to System/app find tetheringprovsion.apk rename it to tetheringprovision.bak
Rename the tetherprovision.odex
To tetherprovision.bak2
Download the modified tether provision apk from the att s4 general forum. and copy it into sytem/app folder same folder you renamed the others.
reboot phone and then after reboot.
Go back to settings apllication manager/all
and re enable hotspot
Then you can tether .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

drtechnology
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by aujbman View Post
Ok, I know I have seen a few threads about this but nothing conclusive or, dare I say, noob friendly as to how to resolve it. So I am asking here. My roommate has moved out leaving me with a few weeks of having to rely on my phone for internet. I am currently running Infamous v.8 and by using Hotspot Shield Free and Wifi Tether TrevE I can hotspot tether for a limited about of data before I have to wait about 6 hours or so. I am looking to find a way to just hotspot tether natively without using apps and without getting the T-mobile screen. I have used many roms including the Carbon KitKat rom using dalvik but still get the T-mobile screen, if the computer connects at all.

I have heard about some libs you can push to get tethering to work, but having never done that, I would need some detailed instructions.

Thanks for any help you can give.
I know some ROM's that have tethering and portable hotspot built in. On my old Samsung Relay had a Clockwork mod, and when I went to settings, more - there was an area for tethering and portable hotspot and it ran just like it was a normal function included with the phone. Loved it.

So check the different rom's out there some should have the same thing.