5,605,766 Members 48,211 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Buying the phone today and rooting?

Tip us?

fbiryujin
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default [Q] Buying the phone today and rooting?

If I buy the S3 from a verizon store today brand new, will I be able to root it and unlock the boot loader still or will it come with a firmware too new?

Sorry if this was answered before. Tried searching but couldn't find results. If they are out there then I blame iOS 7 and my iPhone that needs replacing
-FBIRyuJin
Primary: Verizon iPhone 5S 64GB "Space Grey" AKA Black (iOS: Latest Jailbroken: No)
Secondary: Verizon Moto X Dev Edition (ROM: Stock Rooted: Yuuuuuppp!!)

dpeeps74
Old
Thanks Meter 161
I'm not sure what, if any, updates they've had in the last few months but I just got my s3 in August. I did take an update on it and had no issues with using casual to root & unlock. Perhaps someone may have a more recent experience.

Sent from my Slim GS3

clembrowning
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Yes you will still be able to root, our 4.3 update hasn't happens yet

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

8ttype4
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Rooting is a great idea- I'm loving 4.4 on the s3.

fbiryujin
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by clembrowning View Post
Yes you will still be able to root, our 4.3 update hasn't happens yet

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
That's great to know. I take it I can use custom recovery, and replace the ROM entirely? I don't want to deal with an OTA removing root on me.

Thanks
-FBIRyuJin
Primary: Verizon iPhone 5S 64GB "Space Grey" AKA Black (iOS: Latest Jailbroken: No)

MisterSprinkles
Old
Thanks Meter 226

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbiryujin View Post
That's great to know. I take it I can use custom recovery, and replace the ROM entirely? I don't want to deal with an OTA removing root on me.

Thanks
You should have absolutely ZERO issues with rooting/using a custom recovery, etc... Casual couldn't be any easier.
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterSprinkles For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KutuluMike
Old
(Last edited by KutuluMike; 11th December 2013 at 06:28 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSprinkles View Post
You should have absolutely ZERO issues with rooting/using a custom recovery, etc... Casual couldn't be any easier.
Not necessarily. If he gets a phone that was manufactured after ~July 2013, he'll have problems. There was apparently a silent change to the firmware/hardware/boot process that prevents any of the currently-available custom recovery packages from working. (Not clear on what the change was other than they apparently back-ported it from the GS4 and it requires a change to the recovery's kernel before anything will mount.) I've been fighting to get my brand new GS3 rooted and a custom ROM on it for almost two weeks now.

Trying to do so with Casual caused an endless boot-into-recovery loop because the recovery couldn't clear the cache and reset the 'boot into recovery' flag that ADB set; I was forced to flash back to stock recovery to fix that.

I did manage to get both TWRP and CWM loaded via ODIN, but every version I tried (dozens in all) refused to mount any partitions - it couldn't mount/read from /system or /data or /sdcard or /cache, so there's no way to flash anything. The closest I've come is by using the hacked-up versions of TWRP and CWM from this thread, but they're built for to Sprint phones, so now when booted into Recovery my phone thinks it's a Sprint and won't flash the VZW versions of anything.

So far, every person who's having this problem appears to have gotten their phone in the second half of this year, so I strongly suspect that buying one now will have the same result.
The Following User Says Thank You to KutuluMike For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fbiryujin
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KutuluMike View Post
Not necessarily. If he gets a phone that was manufactured after ~July 2013, he'll have problems. There was apparently a silent change to the firmware/hardware/boot process that prevents any of the currently-available custom recovery packages from working. (Not clear on what the change was other than they apparently back-ported it from the GS4 and it requires a change to the recovery's kernel before anything will mount.) I've been fighting to get my brand new GS3 rooted and a custom ROM on it for almost two weeks now.

Trying to do so with Casual caused an endless boot-into-recovery loop because the recovery couldn't clear the cache and reset the 'boot into recovery' flag that ADB set; I was forced to flash back to stock recovery to fix that.

I did manage to get both TWRP and CWM loaded via ODIN, but every version I tried (dozens in all) refused to mount any partitions - it couldn't mount/read from /system or /data or /sdcard or /cache, so there's no way to flash anything. The closest I've come is by using the hacked-up versions of TWRP and CWM from this thread, but they're built for to Sprint phones, so now when booted into Recovery my phone thinks it's a Sprint and won't flash the VZW versions of anything.

So far, every person who's having this problem appears to have gotten their phone in the second half of this year, so I strongly suspect that buying one now will have the same result.
Ah crap. Thanks for the warning. I decided to order a Verizon Moto X Dev Edition. Can't wait for that to arrive.

Thanks to everyone for the info/advice.
-FBIRyuJin

Macrodroid
Old
Thanks Meter 644

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by KutuluMike View Post

Not necessarily true on that... I got mine last month... I did have issues with using the latest casual Root method, but the all-in-one casual Root works perfectly! But I would suggest downloading rom manager and letting that app install recovery for you (TWRP and cwm touch both caused issues for me). If you need a step by step, pm me and I'll write it up for you...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

KutuluMike
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrodroid View Post
Not necessarily true on that... I got mine last month... I did have issues with using the latest casual Root method, but the all-in-one casual Root works perfectly! But I would suggest downloading rom manager and letting that app install recovery for you (TWRP and cwm touch both caused issues for me). If you need a step by step, pm me and I'll write it up for you...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium
I have no problem getting the recovery installed. The custom recoveries are just *non-functional* because they can't mount any partitions. The error logs' are pretty clear, and every custom recovery I've tried behaves exactly the same.