5,597,261 Members 40,489 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] OTG Mounts But Empty Folder, No Files

Tip us?
 
LotharioRowe
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default [Q] OTG Mounts But Empty Folder, No Files

I just recently bought a new Nexus 7 2013. It's now been rooted and has been working wonderful. I just got a new OTG cable, threw some MKV movies on a 64gb USB thumb drive, and mounted it with StickMount. After mounting, I browse to the SDA folder, and it shows as "EMPTY" in Astro file manager. I downloaded Root Explorer and navigating to the folder - still EMPTY. I tried Nexus Media Importer, it shows the folder with the movies, but when opening the folder, it is empty. Wondering if it is an issue with the file types, I loaded the USB thumbdrive with small MP4, WMV, MKV, MP3, and JPG files. The JPG shows up fine in Nexus Media Importer, but still no video or audio files show up. I tried stickmount, and the SDA folder still shows EMPTY. My thumbdrive is NTFS, so I reformatted as ExFAT - stickmount still showed empty and NMI said ExFat is incompatible. I reformatted the stick as Ext2 - stickmount still shows folder as EMPTY and NMI still only shows jpg. I don't know what else to try. I've uninstalled and reinstalled all programs, reformatted the drive, unplugged and plugged back in, restarted the Nexus. Nothing is working.

Why in the world would the drive be seen, but only JPGs show up - the video and audio files are never seen?? MX Player and VLC don't see any media files either...

Thanks for your help!
 
xr_ghg
Old
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 4
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotharioRowe View Post
I just recently bought a new Nexus 7 2013. It's now been rooted and has been working wonderful. I just got a new OTG cable, threw some MKV movies on a 64gb USB thumb drive, and mounted it with StickMount. After mounting, I browse to the SDA folder, and it shows as "EMPTY" in Astro file manager. I downloaded Root Explorer and navigating to the folder - still EMPTY. I tried Nexus Media Importer, it shows the folder with the movies, but when opening the folder, it is empty. Wondering if it is an issue with the file types, I loaded the USB thumbdrive with small MP4, WMV, MKV, MP3, and JPG files. The JPG shows up fine in Nexus Media Importer, but still no video or audio files show up. I tried stickmount, and the SDA folder still shows EMPTY. My thumbdrive is NTFS, so I reformatted as ExFAT - stickmount still showed empty and NMI said ExFat is incompatible. I reformatted the stick as Ext2 - stickmount still shows folder as EMPTY and NMI still only shows jpg. I don't know what else to try. I've uninstalled and reinstalled all programs, reformatted the drive, unplugged and plugged back in, restarted the Nexus. Nothing is working.

Why in the world would the drive be seen, but only JPGs show up - the video and audio files are never seen?? MX Player and VLC don't see any media files either...

Thanks for your help!
You've just tried all unsupported filesystems. No ExFat, ntfs, Ext2 or Ext3 are gonna work without some help. Formatting the thumbdrive in Ext4 should work, but then you will be able to use it just on Linux systems. Chainfire's StickMount can mount and access ExFat and NTFS on the usb drives if you put a few files on your /sdcard/ directory. Links to those files are in the first post of this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1400034

I've tried it with my homemade OTG cable, StickMount and some pendrives and usb hard disks and works just fine. Other method would be flashing a different kernel, like ElementalX, which comes with support for ExFat and NTFS, and even OTG + usb charging.

Hope that helps you.
 
volumnus
Old
#3  
volumnus's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 68
Posts: 726
Join Date: Nov 2008
It's a pain in the butt. I have stick mount, and I added the binaries that allow stick mount to mount exfat drives. However, I still only have read access. You won't be able to write to the drive in exfat. Your best bet is to reformat it in fat32. I even flashed a kernel that supposedly supports exfat, but that didn't work either.

The Fat32 size limit sucks, but it's a necessary evil right now.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/670676304
Phone: AT&T Galaxy Note 2 (i317) and Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Rom: SkyNote (4.3 Build) on Note 2 and CleanRom (4.4 Build) on Nexus 7
 
LotharioRowe
Old
#4  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr_ghg View Post
You've just tried all unsupported filesystems. No ExFat, ntfs, Ext2 or Ext3 are gonna work without some help. Formatting the thumbdrive in Ext4 should work, but then you will be able to use it just on Linux systems. Chainfire's StickMount can mount and access ExFat and NTFS on the usb drives if you put a few files on your /sdcard/ directory. Links to those files are in the first post of this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1400034

I've tried it with my homemade OTG cable, StickMount and some pendrives and usb hard disks and works just fine. Other method would be flashing a different kernel, like ElementalX, which comes with support for ExFat and NTFS, and even OTG + usb charging.

Hope that helps you.
Unbelievable...you're right, that did it! Thank God. StickMount now sees and plays all my files. Thank you for your help!
 
xr_ghg
Old
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 4
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by volumnus View Post
It's a pain in the butt. I have stick mount, and I added the binaries that allow stick mount to mount exfat drives. However, I still only have read access. You won't be able to write to the drive in exfat. Your best bet is to reformat it in fat32. I even flashed a kernel that supposedly supports exfat, but that didn't work either.

The Fat32 size limit sucks, but it's a necessary evil right now.

Your inability to write is probably due to SELinux enforcement. Try opening a root shell, and type the following command:

setenforce 0

You should be able to write to your ntfs/eXfat afterwards. (Till next reboot)

Hope that helps you.
 
volumnus
Old
#6  
volumnus's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 68
Posts: 726
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr_ghg View Post
Your inability to write is probably due to SELinux enforcement. Try opening a root shell, and type the following command:

setenforce 0

You should be able to write to your ntfs/eXfat afterwards. (Till next reboot)

Hope that helps you.

I wish a developer would build exfat support into a rom.
Phone: AT&T Galaxy Note 2 (i317) and Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Rom: SkyNote (4.3 Build) on Note 2 and CleanRom (4.4 Build) on Nexus 7
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...