Kindle Model/Version identification problem

Tip us?

N3OMOD
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question Kindle Model/Version identification problem

Good evening everyone,

I have recently bought (and bricked) a Kindle Fire HD from Amazon with the statement “Previous Generation” in the title.
Now, after spending a week reading this forum with guides, tutorials and referenced articles I have concluded that there is a “huge mess” out there in identifying and naming each Kindle version.

As far as I can tell my Kindle should be a 2nd Generation of the HD series, also called “2012 Version” in some threads but although an extensive reading I could not figure out if there is a way to clearly identify a model from its hardware serial number / features.

The next logical question would be “Which guide/tutorial should I follow in order to Root and customize my Kindle thus transforming it in a full-featured Android tablet?”

If I suppose that my model is correctly identified by the definition above, than I should follow this guide (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2128848) although there is no mention about generation in the title.

I would be glad If anyone with a bit of “field experience” might help me clarifying this thoughts and avoiding bricking another device.

Thank you in advance for your time, your courtesy, and the great job you provide maintaining this board.

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 497

DONATE TO ME
If it has a camera it is a 2012 model. If it was 2013 then all you could do is root it. Anyways if it is indeed the 2012 model then use this to root it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1886460
And I suggest this to get recovery and 2nd boot loader installed: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2271909
Just remember to check the first checlbox about downgrading the bootloader, I should be followed with a warning in red, if you don't do this you will need a fastboot cable to fix it afterwards. Oh and make sure to put a ROM and its corresponding gapps on ahead of time because it will boot loop and only let you go into recovery once you install 2nd bootloader + twrp.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app
My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null
The Following User Says Thank You to stunts513 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

N3OMOD
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Dear stunts513,

firstly thank you for your kind and complete answer!

My kindle has a front-facing camera, so thanks to your detailed description I can say It is a 2012 model.

Thank you for the tutorial links, especially for the tips about downgrading bootloader and correctly preparing for the 2nd bootloader + twrp.

Your help has been really precious.