XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Google Posts Massive User Experience Guide For Chromecast Developers

Tip us?

RealCaracas
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Default Google Posts Massive User Experience Guide For Chromecast Developers

Hi this is great news! Chromecast is getting its turn with a brand new User Experience Guide!

I read this article in androidpolice.com in this link:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/12...telist-policy/

The guide is here:

https://developers.google.com/cast/design_consider

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 557

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Google Cast is a technology that allows Android and iOS mobile apps and Chrome web apps to “cast” content - like video, audio, and screen sharing (mirroring) - to Cast-ready devices like Google Chromecast.
(Emphasis added)
Screen sharing must be coming!!
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations || Not all 1080p/720p is created equal
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
(Emphasis added)
Screen sharing must be coming!!
Koush saw it in the source code of KitKat so yes it will be coming but it may be restricted. and dependent on the Unit Manufacturer for implementation.

Which suggests it may not work for apps (they would use the current methods) and be a Device and ROM specific feature.
The fact that it will be possible will make those restriction more like Guidelines than rules once Devs get their hands on how it works.

shelby04861
Old
Thanks Meter 82
I am loving where this is all going! As I always say..it is only a matter of time.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

RealCaracas
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby04861 View Post
I am loving where this is all going! As I always say..it is only a matter of time.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2
Amen!

bozzykid
Old
Thanks Meter 522
Also the guide makes it clear that the current Chromecast is only one implementation. I think the rumors of a Nexus TV being announced early next year are probably true and it will include native Cast support.

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzykid View Post
Also the guide makes it clear that the current Chromecast is only one implementation. I think the rumors of a Nexus TV being announced early next year are probably true and it will include native Cast support.
Yes I can see some Smart TVs adding this capability natively at some point. Biggest user complaint they get is they hate the Menu and navigation on the TV and this might make it easier to create an App that would do all this for their TVs in a much better way!

The good news on this Google release is it seems to suggest the SDK is about to drop to the FULL PUBLIC...

It was invitation only before the Hackathon and I think the Hackathon was really meant to test the SDK to see if it was ready for Public consumption...

Once it goes full public expect to see a FLOOD of Apps supporting CCast maybe even Games where the video displays on the TV but the phone or tablet just has control functions. Would open the door to much more sophisticated control options in the vain of what PC has been able to do via it's keyboard.

Restorer
Old
Thanks Meter 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx View Post
Yes I can see some Smart TVs adding this capability natively at some point. Biggest user complaint they get is they hate the Menu and navigation on the TV and this might make it easier to create an App that would do all this for their TVs in a much better way!
Yes, indeed. Lately, I have found myself wanting to use YouTube more and more on a big screen and, even though my TV is only 2 years old, navigating to the TV app is a painful experience.

I bought my Chromecast specifically for YouTube and for me it was worth the $35 just to be able to access it without having to trawl through the clunky TV menus Everything that came last week and the features still to come have been a has been a great bonus .
Phone: Nexus 4 Stock Android 4.4.2
Tablet: Asus Transformer Prime flying along on HairyBean 2.31

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorer View Post
Yes, indeed. Lately, I have found myself wanting to use YouTube more and more on a big screen and, even though my TV is only 2 years old, navigating to the TV app is a painful experience.

I bought my Chromecast specifically for YouTube and for me it was worth the $35 just to be able to access it without having to trawl through the clunky TV menus Everything that came last week and the features still to come have been a has been a great bonus .
I tell my friends that if they can find one to avoid buying a smart TV since there are so many better ways to get that capability including just hooking a Computer to the Monitor.
But try and find a TV without it! LOL